Fly Tying
JasonV

UV Resin Forming

If I get it right ... the plastic on the front is just the form.

Flytire is referring to the cut of the bottom ... trim it closer to make the bug more fishable.

If that's the form for the concave feature then just trim away the unwanted material and adhere the remaining disc to the deer hair face

Any deer hair poppers I've used in the past have 'popped' just fine and caught fish with the flat front end. A concave surface certainly should pop more I suppose but ...

... just saying.

O/P stated that these are for a swap. it sounds to me like he's trying to give them that little extra twist.

i hope you find your solution!

If that's the form for the concave feature then just trim away the unwanted material and adhere the remaining disc to the deer hair face

Huh. I did not think of this. Is there any reason not to do this? It is light enough I imagine and would add durability to the fly.

I should still be able to trim down the bottom a bunch. I have only 1 clump of hair under the shank.

before there was any uv resin it was common to apply flexament or even epoxy to the face of deer hair poppers

it worked back then and still works now

I don't spin hair, never tried. You did a good job on yours. Another member, the Cream, spins some nice bass bugs. I believe he coats the front of the fly with liquid fusion for pop, durability and to keep down on excess water penetration. You could do the same minus the plastic other than it looks different and is quite ingenious I don't think it is all that necessary. However, please fish that bad boy as is (I would want a bigger bite on the hook) and tell us the results. It looks very cool!

Better? I left the plastic form on and it makes it a lot stiffer feeling. I think i like it. The UV Resin sticks very well to the plastic. What do you guys think?

I would say - mission accomplished. I've coated the face and bottom of several poppers with acrylic or liquid fusion or both after seeing Cohen's flies.

Well, I had to wait until I got home to see the finished product pictures, Jason. But I must say, that looks fantastic. I will be very interested in how those act on the water. I am concerned the plastic might weigh the front down too much, causing it to dip rather than pop.

But that still might be just the thing to draw strikes. Like they say, "show them something they've never seen before." I think that qualifies.

I know this is late but I've seen videos where a guy used silly putty to make his form. he used it to make plastic spoons i suppose it would work for what you want.