Fly Tying
eide

June Flies from the Vice

That's a good bit of advise. I had not considered that. Most of my big streamers are hook down.

I really dont enjoy tying these scuds or sow bugs. They are very simple flies but I don't enjoy the process at all.

I really dont enjoy tying these scuds or sow bugs. They are very simple flies but I don't enjoy the process at all.

Frustrated with loosing Czech nymphs some years ago I was looking for a method of tying them faster. Also I wanted to incorporate a bead under the shell back. The method I came up with might be a different way of tying that could appeal more.

You don't have to include the bead, if you don't it saves you making one whip finish. Put the weight on the hook, start the thread, tie in the shell back and start dubbing. That will make sense when you see the link!

Hope it helps, we all have flies we don't like. For me it is the Butcher.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks WVUontheFLY for your comments...I will most definitely have to try the mono loop...That's reason I made the tail kind of short was to prevent fouling. Have a SAFE and HAPPY 4th of July!

I started adding mono loop last year, and it made a big difference. I've also seen a technique where a piece of hard mono is used to pierce the rabbit strip (after burning a small burr on the end), then the other end is tied onto the hook. Haven't tried it yet, but the idea makes a lot of sense.

I started adding mono loop last year, and it made a big difference. I've also seen a technique where a piece of hard mono is used to pierce the rabbit strip (after burning a small burr on the end), then the other end is tied onto the hook. Haven't tried it yet, but the idea makes a lot of sense.

I use both techniques frequently and use the mono loop more so than the hard mono, the loop allows for a bit more movement but still fouls on occasion while the mono does not

Thanks for the tip Crack,

I think that I am really not enjoying tying these flies because I have no confidence in them. I have never fished a scud or sow bug pattern, seen a scud or sow bug in my kick seine and while the flies are as true to the recipes and proportions as any that I have tied I just dont know if they will catch fish. I don't know if that makes sense, its like this... When I tie a flash back pheasant tail or a brown wooly bugger and drop it into a slot in my fly box its exciting to think about the fish I will catch on it because I have caught many fish on those patterns but I haven't on the scuds and sow bugs so I am sitting there taking care to tie these as well as I can and wondering what if none of these catch fish and I just wasted half a day tying them.

Sending these up with my buddies headed to the Colorado.
They like them tied on a TMC2457.

10994061_10152825450342003_4667750954453

Kimo

Yours is still the best scud I've seen, Kimo.

Thanks Mike. You have the best one liners on the forums I visit!!!

Kimo

Sending these up with my buddies headed to the Colorado.

They like them tied on a TMC2457.

10994061_10152825450342003_4667750954453

Kimo

I dont suppose you have a SBS or a vid for that scud do you? Fantastic looking fly.

J