Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dondi12

Fly reel question

Gene L, You could have switched the Pflueger to left hand. If I remember correctly you you just reverse the disc that the ratchet catches and switch the pawls. I started spinning but added fly fishing soon after so left hand retrieve is something I always preferred when available. I never really bought in to the "right hand is better for reeling" argument. I have landed enough salmon and steelhead to know that you can reel pretty well with your non-dominant hand.

Steve

I sure could have, but I went with the tide and did it right-handed. The 1492 Pflueger reels, OTOH, used to be RH only.

LH retrieve is to me a new thing. I've put fish on the reel and fought the fish on the rod left handed and seen no problem. I bought a Ross back when and it came LH. It took quite a bit to change it over, but it was worth it! :)

I use left hand fly reels exclusively. Most new reels now come set up that way but back in the day I'd switch them all to RH retrieve.

A good sized fish that wiil take out line at speed on a light tippet IMO is best handled with the line on the reel, my stronger right hand on the rod, the drag set very light just so it does not overspool and birdsnest, and my left hand applying instantly variable pressure on the fish by feathering the spool rim. Even on fish that don't run long and swap ends I have no problem staying connected -- especially with modern reels larger diameter, wider, spools.

Controling a runway trophy by hand stripping and gathering with line spread out on the water is not for me.

Rocco

I guess I am not as old as I thought. I have never had a fly reel that was right hand retrieve.

Spinning and bait caster. Not poisonous words, just showing my diversity. Just showing that I don't have any bias against alternative lifestyles ... or fishing styles, in this case.

Diversity? Is that the new fancy word to use when you can't cast a flyline when it's to windy!?:-) Don't worry, i've also used the devils systems to fish! Once a year with my uncle for the last many years cos' he is what he is, somewhat of a lesser man than the rest of us that own a flyrod! This summer looks tight & i my not get there? So this year could be the first 100% fly year for me & i'm pretty damn excited! Can finally join a elite group!? The club i want to be in! 100% fly all year!

I love fly fishing and tying. But I don't have or want any fly that will penetrate this cover.

If there's more than a foot of water under that, though, I'll catch two bass out of it with a bait caster and a weedless worm.

You got me there on that one, cos' i'm not shore of a weighted line to get trough it & then not sink in the shollow water! But it should be food for thought! Interesting to see that picture Mike & thanks for showing! Now you've got me thinking a bit, if there wasn't enough puzzels already! But i don't know anything about American bass fishing either! But?

Mike, had to think about it for a second, but I retrieve left hand on spin and right with bait cast as well. Then if try to retrieve right hand with a spin, it doesn't feel right. That's seems odd to me now....

It's about the only place I am "ambidextrous". Everything else I do, I am seriously right hand dominant.

Some days I don't feel like cleaning moss off my fly every cast. This is what middle summer in central Illinois looks like at my favorite floodplain.

post-55511-0-40055400-1433446857_thumb.jpg

That's the kind of place I flip a weightless, Texas-rigged, soft plastic stick bait to. Get it in the holes, jiggle it until it works through and sinks under the mat, then hold on.

You just explain my go-to setup. Half of this flood plain is a no fishing sanctuary and was stocked with 300 bass brooders back in 2007. They opened it in 2012 for public fishing. No gas motors, no bank fishing and no live bait. These fish are spoiled pigs.

in the immortal words of Ray Bergman:

"There are bug days, and there are plug days"

Along with the majority of people who fish with many different kinds of tackle, I do not understand why the BASCAR crowd would want to switch hands after the cast to retrieve with a baitcasting outfit. I do a few things equally well right or left handed, but control a fishing rod is not one of them. I do have one levelwind trolling outfit which has a right-retrieve but that's it. No casting with that rod and reel. I know for a certain fact that I can not reel as fast with my right as with my left, AND I can't remember a time when that would have cost me a fish... salmon and steelhead included. 40 years or so of muscle memory is not easy to improve upon. So, it's left retrieve for me, fly, spinning, and every thing else if I can help it.

"... want to switch hands after the cast to retrieve with a baitcasting outfit."

I can't say that I WANT to ... it's just the way it is. I was 100% spinning gear for many years. The only thing a spinning rig is not good at, in my opinion, is flipping. When you pull line out, swing the bait and release the line, it often hangs up on the reel handle or spool. So, I got into using a level wind bait caster to pitch and flip. With the handle on the right, it's out of the way. I just learned to fish them that way. I got better with them and started casting with them. Next thing I know, I now fish 75% of the time with a bait caster and a right hand reel. But I am still more comfortable left hand reeling a spinning rig and a fly reel.

GO figure.