Fly Tying

today we experienced high, fast, dirty water with finicky trout lying within, my friend and i both did decently, he did better than i by a good margin

he had the idea to tie on a heavy stonefly nymph, then attach a length of line from the stoneflies hook to a smaller nymph

If we hadent of done this I dont think either of us would have caught many fish today, it really was the only way to get our smaller nymphs down to where the trout were. We both had alot of fun experimenting with the rig, the stoneflies were seemingly taken by the better fish usually, and the smaller nymph responsible for numbers. I used my own tied Kaufmann stonefly nymph and fished with it a rainbow prince, evil weevil, bloody mary and others.

Any information on this double nymph rig? Is this something that is done commonly or not?

I know i have read and heard of people dropping small nymphs from dry flies with great success

Yes, it's very common. I almost always fish two flies when nymphing.

Today I had the larger fly tied on first then the smaller one coming off from it, I've read people put the smaller one first larger second which is the correct way?

Also general nymphing question -

Are most using floating fly line, mono leader and fluorocarbon Tippet for nymphing? I want to make sure I'm setup right

I'm no expert on nymphing, but had much luck with leading a nymph with a stimulator. As far as line goes, I prefer floating line in most situations. I've used sinking line in deep lakes when trying to strip weighted flies along weed beds in the main channel.

You are entering into another part of the confusing world fly fishing is! The Czechs, Polish & French are hugely sucsesful, but Czech nymping should not just be considered as only a short distance method, they also have a mid distance & long distance system! French nymphing with small lightning bug nymphs is somthing that interests me & i plan to try soon!

I ALWAYS fish at least two flies while nymphing and dry-flying! It's a very efficient way to cover the trout's menu to see what they want. It's up to you to experiment, but typically I tie on a fly, and thread another piece of tippet through the eye of the fly to trail another fly below. It's easy and quick to rig. Or you can tie another piece of tippet off the hook bend of the top fly. If I am euro fishing, I will normally tie a blood knot or surgeons and tie my dropper of the tag. Weighting the rig is something you are going to have to tinker with on your own. But yes, fish multiple flies!

I haven't fished with multiple flies in a long time. About the only way I've had much success with them was a foam hopper & nymph dropper arrangement. Never got good at using two nymphs or wet flies, had too many tangles, so gave up on it. It can be a productive method however.

A fellow that I know in the Connecticut area, Steve Culton fishes with multiple flies often, so check out his blog "currentseams.com" and search nymph rigs on the blog. It will give you some additional information that may help you. He has some very good fly patterns on there as well. smile.png

I haven't fished with multiple flies in a long time. About the only way I've had much success with them was a foam hopper & nymph dropper arrangement. Never got good at using two nymphs or wet flies, had too many tangles, so gave up on it. It can be a productive method however.

A fellow that I know in the Connecticut area, Steve Culton fishes with multiple flies often, so check out his blog "currentseams.com" and search nymph rigs on the blog. It will give you some additional information that may help you. He has some very good fly patterns on there as well. smile.png

Good point! Casting takes some practice. A good way to limit the tangles is to water-load. Flick it downstream, then flick it upstream, repeat, etc. Each time you are lengthening your line. When ready, punch it out where you want it.

I too am from CT. I follow some of Steve's blog. I'm sure I have bumped into him a time or two. He is a very good fisherman, and yes, he too would proobabl tell you that you're killing yourself if you're only fishing one fly. But like everything, there is a time, place, and certain application for everything.

Traditionally you had the heaviest fly on the end of the leader with the lighter flie(s) above it. I typically find it easier to use a smaller nymph or soft hackle tied to the bend of a heavier nymph for most trout fishing in the northeast. I just never liked fussing with droppers off the leader. For this type of fishing keep the leader simple and use fluoro for the tippet. A great reference for this type of fishing is George Daniels book, "Dynamic Nymphing".

Steve

You are entering into another part of the confusing world fly fishing is! The Czechs, Polish & French are hugely sucsesful, but Czech nymping should not just be considered as only a short distance method, they also have a mid distance & long distance system! French nymphing with small lightning bug nymphs is somthing that interests me & i plan to try soon!

Adam,

The fishing literature in the USA is that Both Polish and Czech Nymphing is shortline nymphing and that the French style is a longer leader directly upstream and the Spanish style is a longer leader is upstream and across. The Bluequillangler and George Daniels Book, "Dynamic Nymphing" are sources that described the different categories of direct line Euronymphing. Our impressions may not have survived the translation from how Europeans define Czech nymphing but George Daniels was a member of the US Fly Fishing Team that competed in the World Championships.

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Knowledge/Polish-Nymphing

http://www.bluequillangler.com/BQA-University/Czech-Nymphing_405

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Knowledge/French-Nymphing

http://www.bluequillangler.com/BQA-University/Spanish-Nymphing_2

George Daniels Dynamic Nymphing Definitions

Polish and Czech

https://books.google.com/books?id=eVsNIxjRQS0C&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=polish+nymphing&source=bl&ots=eveD2SLA_i&sig=JaNcE2ToQ7pF9iO0xyCiMi4IHyw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=rWZuVYDKNsnYtQWd7YLwBw&ved=0CFgQ6AEwCTgK#v=onepage&q=polish%20nymphing&f=false

French and Spanish

https://books.google.com/books?id=eVsNIxjRQS0C&pg=PA90&dq=spanish+nymphing&hl=en&sa=X&ei=d2duVb31MITHsAXa0YGwDA&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=spanish%20nymphing&f=false

SilverCreek! I own a dvd where Swedish fly fisherman Johan Klingberg visists the former & current members of the Czech team in Czech! It clearly demonstrates all 3 methods short, medium & long! Also a medium tactick with a dryfly on the dropper used as a skater! Anyone should know that any given rivers on any given day can all have lots of different types of flow? So i can't imagine Czech being able to win so many times, sometimes year after year with only the short method! Also shown in the dvd by the current team captain at that time was their 3 fly leader rig that in my mind is awsome & lossers most of the time only one fly at a time & it is true! Prooff is usually in the pudding! Have not looked into the Spanish style, but the Italians have a style of dryfly fishing that is unbelievable, i do not swear!

I think the Czechs have great Public Relations since they used the technique based on the method of Vladi Trzebunia of the Polish Team and renamed it Czech Nymphing. Vladi won the 1989 World Fly Fishing Championship by the greatest point margin ever and he personally outscored the next three team totals. This is a feat that will never be equaled. Imagine a single fly fisher outscoring all the combined points of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th teams. Unbelievable!

I do not doubt what you say about the DVD. My opinion is that the video does not give credit to the French and Spanish who first used the long line methods in international competition. Just like the Czechs ignore Vladi, the video does not mention the long line method as originating with the French and Spanish national teams.

Vladi Trzebunia of Poland and the Polish Flyfishing team designed this pattern to win the World Fly Fishing Championships in 1989. That year, with this fly and the newly created method of fishing known today as Polish nymphing, Vladi caught more fish by himself than the next three ranked teams combined.”

http://www.fieldandstream.com/node/1005012803

No one took much notice when an obscure Polish fly-fisherman named Vladi Trzebunia waded into the World Fly Fishing Championship 15 years ago. By the time he'd left the water, the world of nymph fishing - indeed, competition fly-angling in general - had been changed forever.

Not only did Trzebunia and Poland win the title, he individually compiled more points than the next three national teams. Thus the Polish Nymphing System was born, soon to be hijacked in part by the Czechoslovakians, more accomplished in the marketing department.”

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_5514624

Jeff Currier, the first member of the Team USA to ever win a personal medal in the World Fly Fishing Championship writes:

http://flyfishingbum.blogspot.com/2010/07/vladi.html

SilverCreek! In a interview in the dvd with a early former head coach/captain, he mentions they adopted the teckneak from the Polish, it was from them they first ever seen a teckneak using no flyline at all, he also showed there winning nymph from the mid to late 80's made of catfish skin, kind of funny to think of a fly made for a fish from a fish! Was just trying to point out before the Czech nymphing dose not just have one style, the short style like so many people seem to think! Yes the French & Spanish style of nymphing is the more famous long distance method, the little i do know about French nymphing does interest me alot!