Fly Tying
Redneckr3bel

Foam caddis and stonefly.

I love how durable foam is and there is a big caddis and stonefly hatch goin on right now. I have lots of foam and I was wondering if u guys have any stonefly and caddis flies that include foam

I don't, and I don't remember ever seeing one, but you might consider searching the database. You can search those bugs (caddis and stonefly) and you'll get all of their photos to look through. Select any that look like they might have foam to view their description.

SSarcher................ that's really cool! You posted it while I was composing my reply. Is that in the database?

I'm not familiar with the "polypropylene floating yarn" that Dron is using. He uses a lot of unusual materials. Is this something actually sold for fly tying, or is it an application of some unusual material? Anyone know?

Polypropylene is just plastic made of long-strand hydrocarbon chains.

Since most hydrocarbons are less dense (lighter) than water, they float. I believe all type of synthetic fibers used for "congo hair" and similar "hair" are lighter than water. So, Dron's detail of "polypropylene floating yarn" will be satisfied with any of the standard synthetic hair brands.

There might be some brands that are heavier than water, by design ... so (for all you naysayers) I am not including those in the above statement.

If you go to www.jsonsweden.com you can see some videos of how to make Caddis using foam.

This style of tying to form detached bodies,gives a fly which is very buoyant.

Fotwin

Fotwin

That's a fantastic site. A few of the flies in the SBS section didn't have SBS, but those that did (and there are a lot) were really nice presentations. I haven't watched any of the videos yet.

Thanks for such a nice present!

By the way, are you from Sweden? Your profile doesn't say anything about you. Is that your web site?

For a caddis, google "Puterbaugh Caddis".

There are tons of foam stonefly patterns. Here are couple of Rogue style stones.

thumbm_img4bdc83eeaeb8a.jpg

thumbm_img4bdc81e7ee653.jpg

I'm not familiar with the "polypropylene floating yarn" that Dron is using. He uses a lot of unusual materials. Is this something actually sold for fly tying, or is it an application of some unusual material? Anyone know?

Yes polypropylene yarn is sold for fly tying.

Hi FlaFly,

I'm from Bonnie Scotland . I'm an amatuer with no connect to the site or company.

Glad you like the site , the videos are purely visual ,so no problem with the language.

I use very fine sewing needles to form the detached bodies rather than the expensive pins they sell.

I have bought a couple of their wing burners for Caddis and Midge which are really good but again expensive.

I don't buy their wing material as I make my own ,very easily for a few pence/cents.

If your interested in the wing material I use then let me know and I can fill you in on how to make it.

Best wishes from Scotland

Fotwin

Polypropylene yarn, a.k.a. polypro yarn, is one of the most common and cheap tying yarns. It's pretty much the old school standard for synthetic parachute posts. Don't be thrown by the floating, all polypro floats. Most of mine comes from Hareline but I think it's all the same.

http://hareline.com/pf.html

The confusing thing is polyester yarn, sometimes called poly yarn, which is different, doesn't float or tie the same. Outside of fly tying, polyester is much more common than polypropylene.

Here's a good thread on poly vs Antron. The last post by Mayflymayhem explains the details.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=22317