Fly Tying
ChromeAddict

A carp/steelhead fly I tied

Here's something I came up with a couple weeks ago. I plan to fish it on the centerpin for fall steelhead, and on the fly for carp this summer. It's probably not the best tie, but I'm pretty proud of it.

post-56175-0-13956000-1433469037_thumb.jpg

Thread: UNI 6/0 Black

Tail: Goose biots

Body: Brown STS Trilobal dubbing

In between the body and thorax there is another set of brown biots and some black rabbit hair I spun in a dubbing loop.

Thorax: More brown STS Trilobal

Wingcase: Pheasant tail fibers

Hackle: Black saddle hackle

I found the Trilobal quite hard to work with, but I like the wiry look it gives the fly. I found that wetting your fingers before dubbing it helps a lot. I didn't use wax of any kind with it.

I also tied a few with a grizzly soft hackle, but they don't seem as durable as the black saddle.

Hook size and strength? If small -- say size 10 or so and hell for strong -- I'd definitely try that pattern over spring GL steelhead. I have seen them go nuts over smallish black stone fly nymphs and yours could very well pass muster. Fall run steelhead seem more into eggs below salmon redds.

No experience trying flies on carp as, between steelhead, salmon, trout and SM, I was never that hard up for challenges.

Rocco

No experience trying flies on carp as, between steelhead, salmon, trout and SM, I was never that hard up for challenges.

then imo you have missed the greatest challenge of all. it might not be a game fish, be acrobatic, or good to eat; but they sure are hard to trick with a fly.

then imo you have missed the greatest challenge of all. it might not be a game fish, be acrobatic, or good to eat; but they sure are hard to trick with a fly.

A "game fish" is any fish that is pursued for sport. Carp have been pursued for sport for many, many years in Europe and have been in the U.S. for a number of years now as well. The certainly give good sport--very difficult to fool as you say, and once you hook one, hang on! It's like being attached to a Buick with fins and a tail.

A "game fish" is any fish that is pursued for sport. Carp have been pursued for sport for many, many years in Europe and have been in the U.S. for a number of years now as well. The certainly give good sport--very difficult to fool as you say, and once you hook one, hang on! It's like being attached to a Buick with fins and a tail.

regional difference in terminology.

in Ontario, game fish are all the favorites with open/closed seasons, and/or bag limits. Carp, Bowfin and suckers are considered coarse fish, and have year round open seasons with no limits.