Fly Tying
artimus001

uv resin challenge

i hoping that this thread will help end this whole, "my resin is better than your resin, because it cost me 4 times as much." i realized this morning that i've been ranting and raving like a true Newfoundlander. i realized that the proof if in the pudding bottle. this is the resin that is being reviewed: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/351151860446?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

i believe that i've come up with a solution. give this resin to as many people as possible, and get their (hopefully) unbiased opinion on the merits of this resin that i've found. if in the end the consensus that the Lina resin is garbage then so be it.

i have put together a list of members that i will p/m to see if they would like to be testers. this group hopefully will includes industry professionals and bloggers. a large number of testers will be randomly selected due to a sub-group that they belong to (swappers)

i would like to start the list with:

Peterson- the O/P that was inquiring about what resin to get in the thread that started this whole row.

JasonV- flytire has already stated that he didn't like it, so i'd like to add your thoughts on the Lina resin.

Zonker swappers- i can include a resin sample for them when i send out the swap flies if they would like.

i'm open to other suggestions for suitable participants. if you are an industry professional and would like to be part of this test, please let me know.

this would provide a great cross section of our community, and hopefully an honest evaluation of this resin. if anyone listed would not like to participate, please let me know. if any resin manufacturer, supplier or distributor wishes to join this challenge, please do!!!

i questions would based solely on the performance of the resin only, and if the tester would buy it. i think that country of origin, means of sales etc. should be left off of the test.

more to come........

Might be a good idea, Artimus. But I just want to decline, before my name comes up (if it did).

1) I have never used resin, so I'd need the light etc. and I am not buying anything right now.

2) I don't foresee tying the types of flies that need resin in the near future.

Good luck getting responses and compiling information. I think it's been done, but perhaps not in this way.

Might be a good idea, Artimus. But I just want to decline, before my name comes up (if it did).

1) I have never used resin, so I'd need the light etc. and I am not buying anything right now.

2) I don't foresee tying the types of flies that need resin in the near future.

Good luck getting responses and compiling information. I think it's been done, but perhaps not in this way.

lol. your name was on my list due to the fact you provide an honest opinion about everything you post.

this resin can be sun cured, so no lamp is needed.

even if it is used only for a shiny head, i think it can be used by any tyer.

care to reconsider Mike?

Artimus- I have used several UV (and one blue-light) resins and would be happy to compare them with this Lina topcoat. I just ordered a bottle to try so you will have to be patient. It takes 4-5 weeks for most orders from China.

I will say that this sounds like it will be very subjective. I will try it though and give honest feedback. I can already tell you that from what you have said about Lina it will not work for me though. I will not wait >1 min for any uv resin to be tack free because I have one right now that takes <8 secs.

Artimus- I have used several UV (and one blue-light) resins and would be happy to compare them with this Lina topcoat. I just ordered a bottle to try so you will have to be patient. It takes 4-5 weeks for most orders from China.

if you have ordered a bottle and are willing to provide your opinion, it will be welcomed. i will agree that the 4-5 week lead time is a pain. there is no hurry on providing input as the last sample group would not be receiving their samples until August.

I will say that this sounds like it will be very subjective. I will try it though and give honest feedback. I can already tell you that from what you have said about Lina it will not work for me though. I will not wait >1 min for any uv resin to be tack free because I have one right now that takes <8 secs.

that is honest input and appreciated.

i will repost the curing times for the Lina resin here again......

all the test pieces were a nice glob of resin on white paper under a 9w 365mn light.

5 sec - set but not cured

2 min - slight film of uncured resin

5 min - 99% cured

10 min - diamond hard

My resin is not the Lina that you are using. It cures faster and without any tack and does not need sunlight or prolonged exposure to a flashlight to completely cure. I now have a flex formula as well. Silvercreek Crystal UV Coat already has had an independent test against Solarez, Clear Cure Goo, and Diamond Hard:

http://onthevise.com/blog/10-clear-coat-durability-test-poppers

I hope someone who has bought my resin tests the Lina against my resin.

Screenshot2013-11-20at113256AM_zps9aafbe

i'm looking for three random testers.

1) a tester that is currently using a commercially available resin other than silvercreek (Loon, Solarez, Bug Bond, Deer Creek, Bug Off etc). please specify what brand you are currently using.

2) a tester that is using 5 min epoxy. please specify what brand you are using.

3) a tester that has no experience with resins at all.

this resin will sun cure, so no lamp is needed. for persons 2 and 3.

the first ones to respond that qualify will receive a sample for testing.

I appreciate the offer and consideration. I will still need to decline for the second reason I stated. I do not tie the types of flies requiring UV resin. Plus, it's fishing season for me, not tying season.

Again, I hope you get all you need ... without me.

I appreciate the offer and consideration. I will still need to decline for the second reason I stated. I do not tie the types of flies requiring UV resin. Plus, it's fishing season for me, not tying season.

Again, I hope you get all you need ... without me.

kk.

Thanks for the chart SilverCreek. a couple of testers have used your product, one being JasonV.

after all is said and done, it will be interesting to see where this budget conscious resin stands.

I can tell you that Loon Flow takes longer to cure tack-free than Silvercreeks UV resin. I don't know the exact amount of time it takes though. I do really like the needle tip applicator for Flow though, and I use it on small flies for that reason alone.

I can tell you that Loon Flow takes longer to cure tack-free than Silvercreeks UV resin. I don't know the exact amount of time it takes though. I do really like the needle tip applicator for Flow though, and I use it on small flies for that reason alone.

The Lina resin has the consistency of nail polish. is the Loon Flow thinner than that?

on that though,,,, would anyone know what could be used to thin uv resin? it's not like you can just add acetone to it, lol.

The Lina resin has the consistency of nail polish. is the Loon Flow thinner than that?

on that though,,,, would anyone know what could be used to thin uv resin? it's not like you can just add acetone to it, lol.

To lower viscosity you can add more Trimethylopropane Tricrylate in the formulation.

http://www.specialty-monomers.basf.com/portal/streamer?fid=235712

http://www.palmerholland.com/Assets/CE/Documents/data-sheets/TMPTA.pdf