Fly Tying
artimus001

uv resin challenge

LOL A bunch of fishermen worried about the perception of accuracy.

Isn't that basically saying, "Send a memo about truth to the liar's club."

Art is sending samples to each of the testers. No one is out any money but him. Even if he is trying to prove his own point, what's the use of complaining about it? It's a fun experiment, nothing more. If you don't want to read the results, then don't ... but don't complain that it's ... unscientific.

I would like to see a test of UV resins that is accurate. Why waste time doing an inaccurate test? This is a scientific subject and these questions will be raised again as long as UV resin is around. So, why not do a good test that can't be dismissed to bias? If you are going into this like Mike says as a ,"fun experiment" than make sure people know this is not a serious comparison.

Good luck with this "evaluation". The argument of who's best or got the best widget will go on forever. In this realm of fly fishing look at how many best vises, rods, reels and fly line threads go on. New UV resins will come out every year and we will be barraged by all the claims that its new and improved and better.

UV resin is here to stay. No matter what one you use, others will tell you theirs is better for whatever reason. People tend to get possessive about the things they use and perceive them to be the best. To me the best UV resin or any widget is the one that you can get to work for you and solve your problem. To me speed and degree of curing and tackiness or value is not as important as does your current product work for you.

None of these "evaluation" take into account the amount of product being cured. Curing the shell back of a small freshwater fly is a lot different than curing a 2/0 Surf Candy. As a side note, I do think that curing a fly off the vise in a "curing box" or outside defeats the whole purpose of using a UV resins and treating the surface after it cures is also not that great. The only thing I wish is that we can move to "Blue Light" and get away from UV because of the longterm health problems. Their is a product that uses "Blue Light" on the market, but I have not been able to get it to work for me consistently as other UV resins.

we can complain about anything we want....scientific or not

Yes, and Life's too short to waste time reading it. Sorry, Aritmus, but I won't be reading this thread when your results come through.

Anyways...back on topic.

I had not seen anything on the "blue light" before. That is interesting. So the main difference is that it doesn't thermally cure correct?

Just to reiterate I am not saying this is a bad idea. I am also not complaining. During the process of critical thinking, ideas should be reasoned and well thought out/judged.

Anyways...back on topic.

I had not seen anything on the "blue light" before. That is interesting. So the main difference is that it doesn't thermally cure correct?

Jason - Blue light and UV light are just different wavelengths of light. Neither cures thermally (by heat.) Both cure by catalyzing a chemical reaction between the monomers in the resin. The activated monomers then form cross links between each other, causing the resin to solidify. The advantage of the blue light is the elimination of the danger of UV damage (mostly to the eyes.)

"tufflye" brand cures by the blue light and was the ORIGINAL resin for fly tying

GOOGLE it

wetahook.net

thank you for explaining how this is a 'subjective' test. armed with this new knowledge, i will agree that this test is subjective. i can't help but wonder; that the same sorta subjective 'data' is shared every time someone recommends this rod, vise, reel, or resin in a thread. the 'data' will be personal experiences and thoughts about two resins side by side. the uses and results will vary from one tyer to the next.

because everything is dynamic at this point, questions can be altered or added. i think a new fair question would be...."what do you use resin for? possible answers:epoxy heads, shell backs, head cement.....nymphs, saltwater baitfish, etc. any thought as how standardize the individual testing methods would be welcomed.

if Kirk Deitrich is able to recreate his '#10 popper test' with this resin; that will give us the data that some are looking for that is as close to the 'scientific method' as we can get. everyone else would be offering their,'thoughts and opinions".

as i have stated, my goals are to show other members that there is an alternative to paying $40 for .5 oz of uv resin. $5 for .5oz is far cheaper. the Lina resin was selected based only on the it was the cheapest resin i could find. another belief i have is that most any uv nail resin will do the job; whether it is bought from Ebay, or a local b/m nail salon. another goal, is to see uv nail resin is given the same voice for recommendation that Sally Hansen Hard gets in the head cement threads. one goal this i don't have is to try and change the mind of any diehards, it would be nice though, to have one or two diehards awake from the bad nightmare of paying too much for uv resin.

forty dollars is way too much for uv-resin, period, imo. i think that people would be happy with a $5 hit, and put the rest of the money back into their pocket.

Seems to be a lot of winging going on here! Why don't people just enjoy this test & the resaults! Major John Popkin Traherne didn't insist tying your own flies to be mandatory to enjoy fishing. He said that you could as well require men to build their own rods and reels if that if that was the case! Just enjoy it and find out if the cheaper one is just as good as the more expensive one, sounds like some people are scared it will be?

forty dollars is way too much for uv-resin, period, imo. i think that people would be happy with a $5 hit, and put the rest of the money back into their pocket.

$40 for .5 oz of resin? What brands are you looking at? CCG Hydro is $20, and Loon Flow is $13. Both great products even though I think the CCG is way overpriced. $13 for a bottle of Loon flow works for me all day long. I have been working on the same bottle for over a year and I tie a fair bit;) Let's see, if this were an infomercial I'd say "You can enjoy the conveniences of GREAT UV resin all year for only $.04 per day!!!!!"

your right about the pricing, i was looking at old pricing. my apologies to all.

johnsflymaterials: one of the oldest online Canadian fly shops (he also has a retail store here in London, ONT. http://www.freewebs.com/johnsflymaterials/cementsaccessories.htm

• Loon UV CLEAR FLY FINISH 2oz $23.95
  • includes appicator needle
  • Loon UV KNOT SENSE $6.50
  • LOON UV LIGHTS
  • UV MINI LAMP $17.95
  • LOON UV POWER LIGHT $378.95

all of the following prices are from the Loon site: https://www.loonoutdoors.com/products.html#fly-tying

Clear Flow: $12.95 . https://www.loonoutdoors.com/products.html#uv-clear-fly-finish-flow

Power Light: $39.95 . https://www.loonoutdoors.com/products.html#uv-power-light

Mega Light: $64.95 . https://www.loonoutdoors.com/products.html#uv-mega-light

all of the following prices are from the Clear Goo site: http://www.clearcuregoo.com/page28/page28.html

Clear Goo Hydro: $22.00 . http://www.clearcuregoo.com/page1/page9/page9.html . this seems to have the same viscosity as the nail polish (similar to the Lina's viscosity).

light option #1: Clear Cure Goo Pro Plus Curing Light: $60.00 . http://www.clearcuregoo.com/page1/page9/page9.html

light option #2: standard curing light. included with combo kits.

Compared to:

this resin: Lina $2.64- http://www.ebay.ca/itm/351151860446?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

light option #1: nail light $17.55- http://www.ebay.ca/itm/36W-UV-Nail-Art-Lamp-Gel-Curing-Tube-Light-Dryer-220V-EU-Plug-New-LX-/261875696015?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf902018f . i use a 9w 365 nm nail night with no problems.

light option #2: Cree Ultrafire $10.94- http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251800123447?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . this is a 5w 365nm light. this is untested by me.

light option #3: handheld laser- http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111427806846?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=410414409578&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . this is a 5mw purple laser. this is untested by me. i have placed an order in for one.

this has been described as an apples to oranges to beans challenge.

i prefer to look at this as a super-car to performance sedan to compact car challenge. some aren't as flashy or quick, but they all fulfill the basic task of getting from points A to B.

the most basic of needs from a resin is to set-up quickly to prevent sag, and to cure tack-free. the flashiness, or speed of the high performance resins (tying spec'd)is not what is being questioned with this challenge; but whether the resin can get from point A to B effectively and efficiently.

i will share this thought. beware of the sleeper compact car. you never know what is under the hood.

Seems to be a lot of winging going on here! Why don't people just enjoy this test & the resaults! Major John Popkin Traherne didn't insist tying your own flies to be mandatory to enjoy fishing. He said that you could as well require men to build their own rods and reels if that if that was the case! Just enjoy it and find out if the cheaper one is just as good as the more expensive one, sounds like some people are scared it will be?

Winging? I am not familiar with that term. I personally see nothing being gained from this collection of opinions other than getting a collection of opinions. If you are wondering if the cheaper one is as good, I can tell you no. He has stated it takes longer than epoxy to dry hard. How is that better than most any other resin on the market? I am scared that this "test" will be misinterpreted to read exactly what he wants it to say, which is that his cheap resin is at least equal.

I would much rather see a reproducible test for the resins than a collection of miscellaneous opinions being interpreted as some how an objective test. We already know what the results he wants are. He is setting the "terms" of the test to favor a lesser resin.

"i prefer to look at this as a super-car to performance sedan to compact car challenge. some aren't as flashy or quick, but they all fulfill the basic task of getting from points A to B." But what is learned from the test you do not already know? You just stated they all get you to point b? what are you comparing that matters then? You know which car is faster. You know which one will fit in a smaller parking space.

"the most basic of needs from a resin is to set-up quickly to prevent sag, and to cure tack-free. the flashiness, or speed of the high performance resins (tying spec'd)is not what is being questioned with this challenge; but whether the resin can get from point A to B effectively and efficiently." Yes, if you remove the best qualities of the better resins from consideration, everything becomes more even.

Winging? I am not familiar with that term. I personally see nothing being gained from this collection of opinions other than getting a collection of opinions. If you are wondering if the cheaper one is as good, I can tell you no. He has stated it takes longer than epoxy to dry hard. How is that better than most any other resin on the market? I am scared that this "test" will be misinterpreted to read exactly what he wants it to say, which is that his cheap resin is at least equal.

I would much rather see a reproducible test for the resins than a collection of miscellaneous opinions being interpreted as some how an objective test. We already know what the results he wants are. He is setting the "terms" of the test to favor a lesser resin.

"i prefer to look at this as a super-car to performance sedan to compact car challenge. some aren't as flashy or quick, but they all fulfill the basic task of getting from points A to B." But what is learned from the test you do not already know? You just stated they all get you to point b? what are you comparing that matters then? You know which car is faster. You know which one will fit in a smaller parking space.

i know this resin works for our application and want as many people to know what i know. there is another alternative to high priced (imo) spec'd resin.

using uv nail resin as far as i can tell hasn't ever been brought up in any uv resin conversation. at this point i sound like the guy that is telling everyone that i can power the world with unicorn farts. by letting others try this resin, i can prove that unicorn farts can power the world, or at the very least their own little corner of it.

i am not it the financial position to purchase 6 different resins for testing, otherwise i would. i highly doubt that any companies will send me samples to test, lol.

any testers that is willing to send me a sample so that i can do controlled experiments against the Lina resin, i'd be happy to receive them. i would ask for the same samples to be sent to you Jason. we could then apply the scientific method in a controlled environment with the only changing variable being the light sources. moving 6 different samples through the mail would be faster, cut down on individual cost.