Fly Tying

Don't really know where to ask this question, so ill ask it here. Can you bring fly rods on planes as carry ons? Im heading out east and am able to only bring one fly rod. I have 3 option; 4 piece 5wt, 2 piece 7wt and a 4 piece 10wt. The 5 and 10 would be ideal to bring because they can actually fit in a suitcase, so i wouldn't be having this problem. But i want to bring the 7 because it will better suit my fishing needs, rather than being to big with the 10 and to small with the 5. But it being a 2 piece wont fit in my suitcase, so my only option would be to carry it on. Its 8' long, so broken down 4'. Am i able to bring a rod of this size on a plane as a carry on? Has anyone had problems with bring rods on planes? I will be flying west jet if that matters...

Thanks

I have brought up to three rods as carry on at once. They were 4 piece rods. I just duct taped the tubes together and they didn't even question it

You could put it in a rod tube and check it in.

Im trying to avoid having to do that. If that was my only option i would probably just bring the 10wt instead.

I have brought up to three rods as carry on at once. They were 4 piece rods. I just duct taped the tubes together and they didn't even question it

Im just worried that a 2 piece rod will be too long??

It depends on the airplane and the overhead storage compartment. If the rod won't fit in the overhead, it may get tagged. Large planes with lots of room, no problem. Smaller planes, problem. I've had them stored up front, and had them tagged and added to hold baggage. A 9' 2pc rod may be a slight problem. A 4 piece rod shouldn't be a problem.

As a note with most 4 piece rods you can fit two in one rod tube. Just put the butts of the rod opposite to each other. Then roll them togather and slide them in the tube. Great way to bring multiple rods without having to bring two tubes. In the way of the 2 piece rod it would depend on the jet.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I was on plane from Miami to Orlando. The guy in front of me was carrying a fishing rod with the reel on it. No hooks in your carry on luggage, mind you ... but the rod was allowed. The flight attendant at the door asked if he'd like to store in in the hang up locker for jackets and crew luggage.

So, yes ... as far as I know, you can carry it on the airplane.

On the leg from Portland to Redmond Oregon in a prop jet, I was told to check my 4 piece rod case. I believe it would have easily fit.

On a leg from Redmond to Salt Lake City, the stewardess removed the case from the overhead and took it up front. She said it took up too much room. She later returned it when there were several empty seats. The above was on Alaska/Horizon and Delta. I've never had a problem on the other legs of the trip and never when flying on Southwest.

There is no set rule, it's up to the flight attendants. So definitely use a case in case it gets thrown in with the other luggage at some point in the trip.

Lady year I flew from Atl to Miami with a 2 piece on delta. No problems at all. I have heard of people gettin rods stolen from the tubes. Just keep pushin and pushing and once one person says it's fine just use that. Tell them the rod stays with you. Have them out it in the coat closet in the front of the plane.

Good luck,

Sam

with the current sorry state of the TSA you can apparently have bomb making material strapped to your back and they wont even find it. a little old fly rod should be no problem

On a trip to Florida I checked a larger rod tube with several rods in it. All the rods where in cloth rod socks so they would not get damaged. After arrive at the hotel I opened the rod tube and all the rods where taken out of there socks and crammed back in the rod tube. The rods where scratched and several guides where bent. There was also a note that said that it was opened by the TSA for inspection. After several phone calls I was pretty much called a liar and the more I pushed the issue I was told indirectly that they have my name and I would almost certainty have a problem boarding a flight to get back home.

Never had a problem, but I did leave a rod in the overhead bin. Now I make sure it's tied to my carry on. :)

So check this out.

I recently flew from Boston Mass to Billings, MT on Delta. I carried my rods on the plane with out any one saying anything. There was three of them in rod tubes very securely strapped together.

On the flight back to Boston on United the woman that checked me in forced me to check them and charged me $150 for extra luggage because I had two other checked bags, she actually threatened to charge me for all three tubes because they were "separate items". I objected while I was there in Billings but got no where and then again in Denver. In Denver I was told by a customer service supervisor that I would get refunded because there was three or four other guys on the plane with 2 or three rod tubes taped together and one guy with a two peice tube that held 3-4 rods (it was huge) and it wasn't fair that they were allowed to carry their rods on the plane and I wasn't because I chose the wrong ticketing agent to go to. So I get home and go to the website and submit for my refund and I was denied for the refund.

I am sooooo angry. I will never fly on United again.

Unfortunately, United and Continental merged a couple of years ago. Continental used to be one of the best, and I have hated United for about a decade ... now it's all United and suucks.

My sympathies with your plight, W.

I blame the the b*it*h at the ticket counter in billings, the dude at the other counter let one of the other guys with a rod tube through while I was in line and when I asked him he said another guy went through ahead of him and the ticket guy didn't even flinch when it came to the three tubes he had taped together. The problem with the refund is that the Customer service supervisor at Denver is apparently a employee of a sub contractor for united and has no authority to give or authorize refunds not actually a employee of united.

I am still not ever going to fly united again.