Fly Tying
artimus001

camo. do you use it?

who here uses camo?

blues/whites, military, or hunting camo patterns?

i fish streamside or mid-river and have been playing around with military type patterns.

you got to love it when you can practically disappear with a couple of cans of spray paint, lol. it works on fabric really well without chipping or flaking. http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage-paint-made-with-fusion-for-plastic-technology/

Non reflective, subdued colors are all I need for trout fishing. I also eliminate the glitter in gadgetry I expose from my vest and hat too.

Guys who fish the flats in gin clear water may need more to avoid spooking fish there. Deer hunting, another matter entirely, might prove instructive. IMO camo is mandatory then. Face nets and gloves to eliminate the flash from the sun are a must after you have seen faces and hands glow from hundreds of yards away.

Rocco

Only when I was a kid fishing above the Beaverkill state campsites. Does anyone here remember an old wooden weir stream improvement structure up there?

Seem to remember that a time ago the vendors were selling camouflage shirts and vests. Trend did not last long. If I'm really worried about spooking fish, I try to approach from downstream...and then it doesn't matter what I'm wearing, they are looking the other way...YMMV.

Even feeding trout carefully approached from behind can be spooked by the panic reaction of other fish to our movements. They are all atuned to the threat of predators in and above the water and changes in their behavior do cause chain reactions.

Rocco

I think if you are fishing in close quarters that minimizing your contrast with the background is helpful. I prefer dull colored clothing and vests. I also am careful to put any shiny accessories on the inside of my vest to minimize flash. I don't worry about my watch flashing anymore, since I started carrying my smartphone I don't bother with a watch. Some guys used to sand their rods to minimize flash, I was never that OCD. Of course, if you can't wade quietly it won't matter how much camo you are wearing.

Steve

You mean that paint that says not for us on clothing?

I would add there were a couple of people up north who'd flip their Lunds over and spray the bottom big blobs of white and blue to represent the sky when they worked over fish. Don't know if it helped or not but they did catch their share of fish. So did a lot of others too.

i through my watch in my wader pocket. knowing the time is not that important for me, in the sense that the location of the sun is good enough.

wearing white socks is a good way to scare off downstream holding fish if you are wet wading.

ya, the very paint that says to avoid getting it on clothing, lol.

I wear camo when fishing, not all the time, but frequently. I wear it because I have it & I like blending in, even if it's to aid in keeping other folks from knowing I'm there. rolleyes.gif

I won't go as far as spray painting my other clothing however. Neither my jon boat (olive drab) nor my Gheenoe (dull green now) are camo either. I've considered it, just never did it.

When I was fishing last Friday ... I had on my camo hat ('cause it's the one I like) and a bright red T-shirt.

My boat is a mixture of original tan with pond scum colored stripes. I prbably should wash it, but 10 years of water line stripes have made interesting patterns.

i haven't used it on clothing, but on pack nylon. all of my gear is old and on a second life.

the backpack was used as a ski pack. it was a wonderful eggplant purple.

the shoulder bag originally had no real purpose and was a bright green.

the stool was bought for sitting on. it was fire engine red.

they all are sporting the same camo pattern now; with the black pieces still exposed (straps/black nylon panels).

The picture below is what I wear every time I go fishing.

I am of the mindset that subdued colors, grey especially, are the way to go also. I typically avoid bright colors and black because black stands out against a natural background more than most bright colors. I am mindful of bright tools as well (the forceps are my back ups I forgot my black ones at home when I last went fishing). If its cool I wear a grey Capilene 3 pull over grey nano puff jacket. I am a big believer in grey as a good all around color for blending into the back ground in my area, it works.

But to get back to the o.p's topic. Spray paint is a good way to mute the tones of gear if you are re purposing it for fly fishing use or if you want to customize the gear to better blend into certain environments. I did a bit of spray painting green tactical gear tan and brown when I was over seas and it worked very well. I used a paint that was intended for spray painting fabrics though.

post-52247-0-10945800-1434294727_thumb.jpg

Not a camo man! I wear a dull light blue wadding jacket from LOOP, tan wadders from Simms & Vision, army green cap, light tan long sleeve shirt from simms when its warm & nothing at all when i've come straight from the sauna!

I don't go the camo route but I do believe it is a good idea. I bet it would really make a difference when chasing carp. I would even consider a gilly suit if it is cool enough.