Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Redneckr3bel

Shad imitations

I'm getting into striper and LMB fishing and the lake I fish the main food source is shad the flies of been using is a chicken chucker, and a gurgler and I would like to see some of your shad imitations that are super effective and durable enough to handle BIG stripers and bass

Here's a couple of patterns I use

Small

post-309-0-34326200-1434164196_thumb.jpg

Medium

post-309-0-74070700-1434164157_thumb.jpg

Large

post-309-0-62423300-1434164225_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to tie up a few top water sliders and poppers in Chartreuse and White to imitate injured shad.

Don't forget to tie up a few top water sliders and poppers in Chartreuse and White to imitate injured shad.

I like to use white and red gurglers and solid black ones at night

IMO, most basic white streamer flies will imitate many baitfish species that predators will eat. Even when we try to imitate a specific species, such as Shad, doesn't mean that's why the fish eat it.

Here's a basic bucktail I tie. It's gray over white bucktail, with peacock herl fibers along the back. the rest, down the sides is a mix of different color Polar Flash.

100_4236A.jpg

This is a Clouser Half & Half variation I tied for a swap. I chose the materials & colors with crayfish or Blue crabs in mind.

100_4966_zpsb42dd85d.jpg

This is a Clouser Minnow style fly, tied with Kanekelon fibers & Polar Flash. This was tied with Glass Minnows or Bay Anchovies in mind.

100_4620.jpg

This one is a Murdich Minnow variation. Tied to imitate any flashy silver sided baitfish species.

100_4588.jpg

Another possible Bay Anchovy imitation. This one is almost transparent in the water. Tied with Kanekalon fibers & a bit of saltwater size holographic Flashabou.

100_4215A.jpg