Fly Tying
dryfly purist

The smiling speycaster

Terje

Beautiful river and great picture. But I thought someone said that spey casters had an addition to the rod grip below the reel???? I don't see any extension here.

Also do you spey cast dry flies?

Great perspective shot, Terje. Beautiful shot.

Flafly ... there are single and double hand spey rods.

Steph ... Spey casting is a type of fly fishing where there's very little back cast. It's all about getting the line moving with specialized roll cast. Look it up on YouTube. Look at April Vokey videos to see how easy she makes it look.

Terje

Beautiful river and great picture. But I thought someone said that spey casters had an addition to the rod grip below the reel???? I don't see any extension here.

Also do you spey cast dry flies?

Thanks FlaFly :-) :-)

Yes we do speycast with dry flies to be able to get the fly out in really tight and difficult positions :-) :-)

Terje

I feel a bit lost on the terminology mentioned here. However, that is an awesome pic! Worth framing!

Thanks a lot for your kind comment, PeachySteph :-) :-)

Terje

Great perspective shot, Terje. Beautiful shot.

Flafly ... there are single and double hand spey rods.

Steph ... Spey casting is a type of fly fishing where there's very little back cast. It's all about getting the line moving with specialized roll cast. Look it up on YouTube. Look at April Vokey videos to see how easy she makes it look.

Thanks a lot, Mike :-)

.....and you are absolutely right :-) :-)

Terje

Here is a video with a norweagian flyfishing friend who showes how to use the water to get the fly out to the trout :-)

This is what we do a lot when the conditions demands it :-)

Terje

Looks like a single handed cast from what I can see, spey casting is two handed. much less effort required, you can throw huge casts with no room for a backcast once you try it you won't go back

Boy, your friend looks like he's done that before! ☺

Terje,

That is a great photo, as usual. I don't think that i could do that with a 6'6" 2 wt or a 7' 4 wt but the little streams that i chase brookies in aren't as wide as some spey rods are long. I think I have to learn how and get a mile long rod because I do visit the river occasionally.

Take Care Terje and keep those awesome pictures coming

Tony

Terje,

That is a great photo, as usual. I don't think that i could do that with a 6'6" 2 wt or a 7' 4 wt but the little streams that i chase brookies in aren't as wide as some spey rods are long. I think I have to learn how and get a mile long rod because I do visit the river occasionally.

Take Care Terje and keep those awesome pictures coming

Tony

Thanks a lot, Tony :-) :-) :-)

Take care my friend :-)

Terje

I find myself using two handed techniques now while using my one hander, a slight lift, look at the D loop and into a roll cast. My home river has a few places where the two hander is a bit much rod for the size of river but other areas it's ideal. I go into a zen state while casting, swinging then stepping down. Dream trip or bucket list is to cast and swing the ancestral homeland, Scotland a the Dee and Spey, and perhaps Iceland for Atlantics or B.C. or the Kamchatka for steelhead