Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Gibbons

Florida vacation

I am looking for info from anyone who has flyfishing experience in the Gulf surf, in the area around Destin, Panama City, or Pensacola. I'm heading there in January. Will be staying there for a month. Thanks, Tom.

Go to pensacolafishingforum.com and you will finds loads of stuff for that area.

I am far from an expert on it, but I have found the best times to flyfish in the surf to be May-early June and late September-mid October....I have been down there in january and the water is too cold inshore for most of the normal target species......If you go back in the bays, you will probably find some warmer pockets of water and catch some smaller holdovers......Check out haflhitch tackles website, they just redesigned this past year.....they don't really cater to flyfishers, but have weekly/monthly fishing reports and forcasts and during peak seasons have daily updates.....that will atleast give you an idea of what may be around to target.....I haven't been on this site in awhile, but ther used to be a couple guys from that area on here that were quite willing to share information....maybe one of them will chime in...

Mike

I have fished the Navarre area beach 3 or 4 times so I am no expert. I was on the water before daylight and fished to about an hour after dawn. The beach tunas get too thick after that. My next trip I intend to find a more secluded section of beach to walk. All I caught was lady fish but it was fun none the less. White and pearl schminnow did the trick for me and I only caught fish right up against the sand. I think the best thing to do would be after you find the hot spot the ideal would be to take a step ladder out in the water for better sight perspective. Not very convenient when on vacation though. I fished a floating line on a 9wt rod. I tried a 5wt that would have been a ball on the lady fish but I struggled with it and never hooked up. Someone suggested I shorten my leader on the 5wt and I do intend to try the 5wt again with a shorter leader. How about a trip report when you get home?

Saltbum is correct about the Pensacola forum. It is not as active as this forum but it is area specific and there are some knowledgeable felllas on there. There are also some argumentative dudes so just ignore them.

geepers, I'm remiss fellas. Totally forgot I posted this question. Again, thanks for any info, guess I'll have to regroup the brain housing. Ditz2, yah no kidding, I can definitely dig that ladder idea. No sense getin too excited.