Fly Tying
nspratt

Improvised Fly Tying

Here are some flies that I tied with materials that I had just laying around (paint brush, frayed shirt tags, carpet, braided line, a toilet brush, ear plugs, aluminum foil, and sewing thread). They are my first flies, and I wanted to see how well I could do before I purchased a kit. Questions, comments, and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

post-56391-0-51413900-1434559151_thumb.jpg

post-56391-0-88091400-1434559174_thumb.jpg

post-56391-0-33825100-1434559202_thumb.jpg

I'd say you're doing as well with improvised materials as many others are doing with "proper" materials. (Nothing wrong with improvising, by the way--a lot of great patterns have been created that way.) I'd say you're more than ready for some real materials and tools. One thing, though--I'd steer clear of "kits". The materials that come with them are typically of poor quality and you may get a lot of materials that you won't end up using. You're better off to purchase your vise and tools separately and then shop "a la carte" for the materials for one pattern at a time, buying just what you need for that pattern. If budget is a concern, there are lots of quality vises and tools that can be had for not that much money--here is one example:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Tying/Tools-Vises%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/104340780/i/103884480/Cabelas-Standard-Fly-Tying-Tool-Kit/732298.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftools-vises%2F_%2FN-1100441%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103884480.

In the first place I would advise you to not buy a kit. Buy a low end name brand vise for less than $100. Get a bobbin, decent scissors but not one of the real fine tip ones, A spool of 6/0 or 120 denier thread in either black or white. Decide what fly pattern that you intend to fish and buy the required materials and start tying. As you expand fly patterns you can add the needed materials. Do not go and buy a high dollar vise until you know exactly what you want in a vise. A kit will have a lot of materials that you will never use and much of it will be sub standard. At least that is what I found when I bought one many years ago. The vise was not any good and the other tools were barely useable.

If this idea does not appeal to you there is always the idea of buying a list of basics in basic colors. If you want to know what the basics are you need to be more specific on your targets and type of fishing. This list can become quite extensive.

welcome to the site, and a great hobby.

if you enjoyed tying those flies; then the guys above have it pretty much covered for ya :)

Welcome to the forums & this addiction we all share!

Do you fly fish? Some folks start tying before they actually get a fly rod & start to fly fish. That's how I got started, tying first, then later the rod, reel & line.

I'll agree with what's been said about choosing your tools, vise & the patterns first, make a list of the materials & go from there. There are some decent tools & vises available that won't ruin you financially. I started with no vise, then got a basic Thompson "A" vise, and progressed from there.

Try not to let it overwhelm you either, as there are thousands of fly patterns. If you're already fly fishing, choose patterns that you'll use or would like to try for the fishing you do. There are species specific patterns, and there are also general use patterns that can be used for multiple species. You'll find as you get into this more, that many patterns will call for the same or similar materials, so as you purchase supplies for one pattern, some of those same materials can be used later for additional patterns.

Unless you happen to be a billionaire, start slow & go from there! No one ties everything! laugh.png

If you don't already fly fish, start with simple patterns or styles such as Woolly Buggers, but still choose flies & sizes you'll use as you get into the fishing.

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions as you go! We all started at one time & this forum & it's members are a tremendous resource! If you're ever not sure, ask!

BTW, some real strange looking flies you tied there! Although considering the materials, you did a good job for your first attempts! smile.png

Hey nspratt and Metal, welcome to the site. I'd bet a bunch of the ties you have will catch fish! The advice you've been given is solid...there was a long, recent post that covered the kit topic. This tying can be a real pastime, and can help your fishing and enjoyment of this great sport. This is a great place to learn and have fun. There are for-real experts here. Cheers, Ed

I also use a lot of improvised materials but also use standard stuff. There are some points you will learn on this forum that will help you. For example in one pic you have a fly tied with a section of feather tied in with barbs both up and down. It's questionable how that fly would actually swim, and having all those barbs obstructing the hook point will tend to interfere with setting the hook if some fish tries to eat it.

I always suggest to beginners that you go to flyanglersonline site, go down the menu and select beginner flies. You will be presented with step by step instructions to some very basic but important flies such as the wooly bugger. That way you'll be learning technique and tying some flies that are tested and proven to be fish catchers.

Good luck!

That same beginner's instruction set starts with a tutorial on equipment. Mr. Campbell gave good advise.

I still fish with his SHWAPF pattern. Bream love it in all gold or all red tinsel.

Kirk B.

Before you purchase a kit, purchase a book. Flies aren't tied at random, they're tied to resemble insects. Instead of robbing your toilet brush, get an idea and some cheap (and if you're into cheap, fly tying isn't your hobby) cheap-ER materials that may but probably won't be on hand. If your goals are modest, you can get by with Hobby Lobby materials and catch some fish, but I doubt you'll find that source satisfying for a whole lot of productive flies.

... (and if you're into cheap, fly tying isn't your hobby) ...

Sorry, but I'll have to ask you to speak for yourself, here, Gene.

It is very realistic to look at fly tying as a support hobby for fly fishing. I tie flies to fish with. For all the time I've been tying (off and on for decades ... continually for the last 5 years or so) I am up to about $300.00 in tools and materials. That includes the $100 dollar vice I just bought earlier this year. I used a $19.00 vise right up until then.

If you look at fly tying as a hobby for it's own sake, then you're probably right, you'll spend a lot of money. But even then, there are some VERY good tiers on this site that use dusters, paint brushes, flip flops, etc. for excellent looking flies.

I'm a big fan of flip-flops and ostrich feather dusters, paint brushes make great tailing material, but I didn't start out that way. I still maintain the best way to start is with a book and tie some patterns.

And of course I'm talking about fly tying as a hobby, which is what this site is about rather than just getting by. 'm not talking about subsistence fly tying. I admire your sense of purpose and your low inventory of materials, but think you're an exception on this board rather than a paradigm. But I may be wrong.

One of the best FISHERMAN I know used mainly an IPW, which is a worm fly with pink ultra chenille and who outfished everybody I knew. His goal was first to catch fish and secondarily, to tie the one fly that would do it. My goal is to tie flies and catch fish on as many different flies as I can.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... the problem (or at least my problem) is that I don't tie hundreds of the same fly. I may do two or three of a given fly before I move on to another pattern. I don't need a whole bag full of feathers when only one or two might suffice for what I'm tying. Same goes for other materials. It isn't cost effective for a supplier to pack a single feather, or two or three, to a pack. He'd have to charge way more than it's worth. Same for shipping. Packaged fly materials are of most use to tyers who tie lots of replicates. Or to those who don't mind having thousands of bucks invested in stuff that fills their tying room, and which they may never get around to using in their lifetime.

For me, if I want to try my hand at a fly that looked cool on the internet, I'm going to try to find something cheap. A relative just sent me a half dozen or so turkey wing and tail feathers. That's more than I'll probably use in my lifetime (unless I start tying dozens of Teeny Nymphs, which is what I wanted them for). Suppliers pack about 3 or 4 little sheets of foam in a pack, and charge what I can pay for a big 24-pack of large sheets in multi colors at Walmart. Same foam. Anyway, end of rant.