Fly Tying
Mike West

Who has the best necks for Bass Bugs..?

I've been out of the game for awhile. When I quit I met a guy who was breeding beautiful necks just for bass flies. I still have one of them. Nice wide rounded tips soft quills and soft hackle type barbs. These weren't hen necks they were Rooster.

Is anyone offering these now days...I've been looking around and haven't found what I'm looking for....Deer hair too.

Who has the best spining hair for bass flies?

TIA

Mike, I primarily use strung rooster neck for tails on bass bugs & poppers. Most I tie are rather large, on 1/0 or larger size hooks, so the strung hackle gives me hackle that is mostly of similar size.

I'm always looking around for capes & saddles too, as I use the hackle for all types of bass, panfish or salt flies.

When Chris Helm was the owner of Whitetail Fly Tieing Supplies, he had some great spinning hair. Chris had some health problems & has sold the business a bit over a year ago, but I would still check with them. The new owners seem to be maintaining a good product line, so likely will also have the same quality & selection for spinning hair.

Capon capes, (google them ) they are roosters that have been castrated, which is why the tips become rounded, and are a nice alternative, but when Chris helm was in the business he began selling Whiting's American Hackle. these two choices are second to none, great for rear legs (kickers) and make great skirts as well. Fantastic for matuka's. Deer hair is another story. It can be a challenge finding good quality hair so when you find it stay with it. I find that being able to talk to the vender is important, that way you have opportunity to ask if he/she has the length and quality you need for a particular pattern. Nothing more frustrating when you try to tie but are limited because of the materials on hand. Pat Cohen is certainly a good source, you call him , tell him what your tieing and what size and he will steer you in the right direction .White tail fly tying is another fantastic source where you can ask if they have what you need , and they will tell you! You don't need to look any further.

A lot of descriptions of what caponizing is and some description of the effect on a rooster that is castrated - but, I haven't seen suppliers of capon feathers in the first 5 pages of the google search "capon feathers". :(

Do you know of a supplier of capon feathers Bruce? Thansk in advance.

BCT