Fly Tying
shanewreckd

First Week of Tying

These are my first few flies, tying has been a new hobby I started about a week ago. Seemed like a good way to not pay $3 for flies and keep the stoke up between days on the river. Anyway, this is my box of ties so far. I've fished and lost probably 7 so far as well.

post-56398-0-43694000-1434781313_thumb.jpg

Blue Winged Olive #18

post-56398-0-06263500-1434781351_thumb.jpg

Dark Hendrickson #14 (also tied in #10)

post-56398-0-66068700-1434781398_thumb.jpg

Deer hair caddis #14 (again, also tied in#10)

post-56398-0-57288200-1434781686_thumb.jpg

A humpy variation I tried with the colours/materials I have

post-56398-0-97726400-1434781761_thumb.jpg

Wooly bugger

post-56398-0-93349400-1434781831_thumb.jpg

And a weird fly I tried out

post-56398-0-05064600-1434781891_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the site, Shane. Looks like you've got the ability. Looks like some fish attracting flies.

As long as you don't buy enough material to supply a medium sized city (like some people), you can save money tying your own.

As long as you don't buy enough material to supply a medium sized city (like some people), you can save money tying your own.

Hey, Mike...I resemble that remark! smile.png

Shane, welcome to the site. Your flies are looking good, espcially for being only a week into fly tying! Have fun fishing them. Catching fish on flies from your own vise is one of the greatest pleasures of fly fishing. Mikechell speaks the truth -- I, too, got into fly tying to save money, but like so many others, ended up with enough materials to stock my own fly shop. The problem with that whole frugality thing is that tying flies is fun and rewarding all by itself--if you're like many of us on here, you'll end up doing a lot of tying just because you like to tie. Nothing wrong with that, either. smile.png

"Welcome" and yes - fish your flies. I've been tying only 5 months and as soon as I was able to cast, I fished and found that the fish here were not too picky. It's so great to have a fish take a fly you've tied. Just get out there with them and you'll see for yourself. The more you tie, the better you get at it. I still battle with crowding the eye and I'm sure I'll get past that but it's all part of learning, Your flies are a great start to a great sport. Go out and enjoy (vise time is fun as well or we wouldn't do it - right). I agree that there's money to be spent, especially when starting out it can add up. I think we all get excited seeing a cool pattern that looks great and we want to try; off to the fly shop to get that material. Some patterns will work everywhere so you may want to try those generic patterns (like the buggers). My first trout on a fly was a pattern shared by DaveG as I started out. What a day that was for me as a newbie catching that fish - a dream realized!! The bottom line is "doing" it, whether tying, fishing, thinking about tying, thinking about fishing, or all of the above. I've been booked up and haven't been in here frequently lately but this forum is SO inspiring and a wealth of knowledge!

Just enjoy and get your flies to those fish... :)

Thanks guys. It has been an interesting learning curve, but it keeps me occupied in camp for work or on down days. I have been fishing my flies as much as possible, but i have been sticking between the BWO and Hendrickson. I'm going to try an Adams parachute next, and then maybe a mouse pattern. But for now, here is my latest learnt pattern, the Chernobyl Ant.

post-56398-0-96571500-1436085628_thumb.jpg

Cheers