Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WdyCoachmen

Epoxy Question

It's great having one of the true gurus of epoxy, Brad (buzfly.com) chime in. Go to his web site to see articles on how to mix epoxy and other tips. The only thing I'll add from my own experience is that a rotary vise certainly helps applying epoxy, 5 minute epoxy is great for surf candies but not so great for this application which means you are going to need a 5/6 rpm drying wheel and the 30 minute stuff. The last thing I'll add is that some permanent markers will run on you. A quick coat of sally hansen before the epoxy will stop the bleeding.

I've quit using epoxy to coat my poppers, I use Fabric Fusion now. Spin it while its drying and it will give a nice shiny finish, it's water based, so no noxious fumes. Can be cleaned up with soap and water. Also. no mixing.

Jolly:

Fabric Fusion is good stuff. What markers or paint are you putting it over? I also like Liquid Fusion. In my production work I still use 30 Minute Devcon or another 2 Hour setting epoxy.

Brad

I used to use the Devcon 30 minute epoxy in a different environment than fly tying and will attest to it's durability and long life. I didn't know it was still available, good to know !

When using any kind of foam of unknown origin and makeup, be sure to test your epoxy or other coating on a separate piece to test the reaction. Any nail polish or other paint or glue containing acetone or Methyl Ethyl Ketone will melt styrofoam and other plastic based foams. Test first! The milky result from your epoxy could well have been moisture contamination from a variety of sources, i.e. the part your coating, the mixing tool, the item you are mixing on, super glue uncured below the epoxy and on and on. I would recommend getting your epoxy in separate containers, instead of the double syringe set up. This will prevent cross contamination and make it easier to dispense the same amount of each ingredient. When dispensing, make sure to use a clean surface, free of previous mixtures and DO NOT get parts A and B together at all......the smallest amount will eventually cause your whole supply to be ruined.

Catch a big one,

Roland

If you do get epoxy in the duel plunger tubs you can make one quick fix to make your life a lot simpler and get better results. Take a utility knife and cut the typically oval black piece of plastic in half. This is the piece on the very top of the plunders. Now each side will move independently. Took me years to figure that one out. I still get my deacon in the large squeeze bottles because I use so much of it. If I was only going to use it once in a wile, I would get the plungers and separate the top. Best of luck...

Brad

If there's a true hobby shop near you where they sell stuff for model airplanes rather than craft stuff, they carry some very good 2-part epoxies. I find it hard to find anything but the 5 minute epoxy around here. Another hobby if mine involves splicing wood and the 5-minute just doesn't give enough working time.

I use SHHAN over lacquer when I paint poppers, I think, but it's been so long since I did any that way, I may not remember. Since the Flopper Popper thing, I still have popper bodies somewhere in my supplies.

The formed bodies look great and are canvasses for artwork. Although it's not in the scope of this thread, I'm of the opinion that no finish at all on the white bodies work just fine, although they look awful.