Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyTyer15

Finishing Popper Heads

I just recently got the Copic airbrush system and am thinking about coloring popper heads. What do I put on the finished head to protect the coloration?

It would depend on whether you're dealing with soft body poppers or hard body poppers. If you're making soft body poppers you might want to go with something like Liquid Fusion or Flexament. For hard bodies, epoxy as already mentioned or look at one of the water based jig head clear finishes. I've been using a UV one to seal up the CCG and Bug Bond UV resins I've been using to finish off my poppers this year.

If you go with epoxy, you will also need something to rotate the popper until the epoxy sets.

This will take anywhere from 5 to 30 or more minutes. But most tyers stay away from the

5 minute epoxy because of early cracking and yellowing typical of 5 minute epoxy.

For those that haven't used a turner here's a pic or two of my setup -used for production tying but it could be a lot smaller/simpler. Years and years ago barbecue rotisserie motors were what we used (and they were dirt cheap...). My turning setup was nothing but sections of old fishing rod blanks with a cork ring glued in place every six inches. Since I was doing production work I had four or five sticks that would each hold three to four dozen flies.... All that's needed to finish the setup is the same kind of timer you'd use for Christmas tree lights....

If you want really high quality "epoxy" work - don't use epoxy - instead use a rodbuilder's finish like FlexCoat.... Any rodbuilder's catalogue will have the stuff -it's a two part polymer coating that is applied with a tiny paint brush and is the consistency of honey until it sets up (about two hours max...).

post-30940-0-46205000-1435060982_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-63299200-1435061007_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-83816300-1435061042_thumb.jpg

If the Copic ink runs, give it a misting of Krylon Clear Acrylic spray. That will lock in the ink. I also use that over the Copic when coming back over with acrylic paint decorations such as painted eyes or dots where the ink actually bleeds up through the acrylic paint. The Clear spray locks in the ink creating a barrier to put you paint onto.

Epoxy does not make the paint run but various other clear coat products will indeed do so.

Kirk

it may not be such a bad thing if your copic markers run a little after an application of an over coat material. it sure will be a different finish!

Some of the finishes I've tried made a 'crazed' look to the popper and really did look kind of nice - just for something different. But there is little control as to how much crazing or melting takes place.

I like the clear acrylic suggestion - lock it in then coat.

If the Copic ink runs, give it a misting of Krylon Clear Acrylic spray. That will lock in the ink. I also use that over the Copic when coming back over with acrylic paint decorations such as painted eyes or dots where the ink actually bleeds up through the acrylic paint. The Clear spray locks in the ink creating a barrier to put you paint onto.

Epoxy does not make the paint run but various other clear coat products will indeed do so.

Kirk

Thanks for this piece of advice! I just picked up the Copic system and even the Minwax Polycrylic seemed to eat away at the airbrushing (pic below). The Krylon solved my problem.

Stacey

post-49731-0-11625500-1435268299_thumb.jpg

And I still like that effect. It's just too hard for me to be able to predict how 'much' of that happens when coated. Like I said, difficult to predict or control how that process takes place. Still.... I like the effect. Good looking start to a popper Heron.

I have used "envirotex lite" for a couple of years now and am happy with the results. I touch up wear spots with clear nail polish to extend the life of the popper.

The running or bleeding of colors is certainly fine but if you're going through some effort to make specific markings, then the bleeding will ruin your efforts. We all know the fish don't care either way.

Certainly though if you want acrylic paint over the markers, the sealer will allow you to do it without having the ink bleed through.

Heronwheels, glad that tip helped.

Kirk