Fly Tying
gatorfly

Catgut, where to buy it?

I really like the look of all these catgut flies but cant seem to find the material available from any US sources. I live in Central FL so my only option is online. All the sites I have found it at are in Europe and paying for shipping for a few bucks of catgut seems absurd. Anyone know of any domestic sites that stock the stuff?

Awesome, thanks. Think that first site is from across the pond as the price is in GBP, not USD. The second site is US though. Is catgut a relatively newer material to the fly tying arena because it doesnt seem terribly popular?

A dentist friend gave me some and I tied it up into nymphs. It looks very good for nymphs, but it's not to die for. You have to keep it wet to tie it or it'll break. Like soak it. The thread shows through giving it a realistic look. The stuff I have is unsurprisingly for a medical suture, packed in alcohol. About 18" lengths or so. It won't tie as many nymphs as you'd think.

It's not, nor ever has it been, actually from a cat, but comes from a sheep. I think the "cat" comes from an old root word for livestock.

Also, I understand you can get it for some traditional music instruments, or from very old tennis racquets you may have in your garage.

IMO, not anymore bait that using the chamois to tie a fly with as in the caddis chamois pupa. Also silk is an excreted protein fiber and gut is an animal protein fiber. Eel Skin is also used in fly tying for wing cases and as body material for streamers. I wouldn't classify any of the above as bait.

7f9795fbc355361f373458ea6200310e.jpg

If you have a pro-shop that does stringing for tennis rackets they likely will have scraps that you can get for free and can play around with. Try and get the lightest gauge, though even that will be pretty heavy for flies smaller than a size 10 or so. What I have found after playing with tennis string is that you can untwist it some and pull out finer strands. As noted above you still need to soak it to soften it enough to work with. Interesting material but not something that will be very popular, more of a niche product.

Steve

Which of course begs the question, if you are using natural catgut, isn't that what one would call "bait"?

I wouldn't think natural catgut would be any more bait than natural feathers and natural dubbing.

As for tennis racquets, do they still use catgut for that?

I was wondering about racquets. I know actually buying the string would be no savings at all but didn't think about discards from a pro shop. Free is my favorite price!

I have been buying catgut from Kevin at Performance Flies for several years now. It is the best material I've used for tying both caddis larva and pupa flies. Soaking it helps when you tie it in and makes it not so stiff when you wrap it, but is not necessary. I've never had it break. The only problem is that I usually use the "caddis green" and "natural" colors and he hasn't had any in those colors for quite a while, or they aren't listed on the website.

My "go-to" subsurface caddis imitation tied by Davie McPhail. A killer fly:

Joe

If my neighbors cat kills another bluebird in my yard I will have some available, Cheap!

"wouldnt a colored monofilamet work just as well and provide the same effect?"

Not in my opinion. Catgut has a look to it that is very "larva-like", not at all like mono or vinyl ribbing. Kind of cloudy and not shiny at all. It's a shame it is not readily available in the US because it would be a popular material. Very easy to work with, tough, and very effective. Not cheap, though.

Joe