Fly Tying
wapanocca

Pedestal Vise Height

@DFoster exactly but i never said to not do it that way - machining or even hand working one with what ever tools you have on hand

a lot of people might not have the capabilities of having the equipment you must have to perform even the simplest of manufacturing processes

ive seen some of poopdecks projects that he has shown on the forum but not all of us has his equipment, facility or his handyman skills

i live in a mobile home and do not have the facilities to really build much. i'm also not the "mr handyman" as some might be.  i'll bet tyers who tie on a kitchen table dont either

i'm not about to bolt down a bench vise to my kitchen table or countertop to hold a piece of round bar to drill a hole in the end of it and tap it for a screw 😀😀

i cant assume that everybody on this forum minus me are capable handymen. i wish i could do more with my hands but i cant. i guess thats all my fault

landlord probably wont let me install in my yard 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbRqqfArdP0

The HMH rod is SS, but is more than a simple rod.  The business end is narrowed from both sides to fit into the head of the vise.  I couldn't imagine making one by filing, it's a pretty tight fit.  

I've got a cluttered room for tying, and since I'm disorganized, I have materials all over and which defy my attempts at organizing them.  

As for vise height, about 4" or so above my navel.  I guess.  It's the standard pedestal height for my HMH vise.  My travel vise also HMH Standard is a C-clamp with a long stem.  I actually like a C Clamp as it gives me a lot of variety and is very secure when clamped down on a table or a desk.

I figure vise height is largely personal.  I've seen a few who appear to work at belly button level, some who like the vise at eye level, or slightly below.  That would tire me out, but not them.

Not to belabor my point but a SS rod files pretty simply as well and grinds even easier. I've seen the flies you guys tie and I think your selling yourself short. You have the attention to detail to easily get a factory fit and produce a stem equal to the factory in the exact size you desire. I'm frugal so I prefer making over buying. Couple this with the fact that propping  things up with books or blocks of wood would give me the hives. It's a no win combination. 

@flytire @Poopdeck @Gene L

Guys I guess my point would be that in this case it would probably cost me equal or more money than the factory stem cost to make one one.  I don't know for certain but I'm thinking the 3/8 SS  is probably sold by a minimum length, say 24"?  Not being a skilled machinist I have know idea what tools are needed or how much time would be required.  Gene is correct when he said the factory part fits extremely tight.  So the machining would need to be really well done to equal the HMH stem.  I have a friend half a mile away with a Bridgeport machine.  For you non machinist (and I only know this because my friend told me) the selling pitch for a Bridgeport was that it "was the only machine in the world at that time that could make all of the parts needed to replicate itself".  I'm sure he would have helped me out with a stem but again were talking about less than $30 with shipping.  Poopdeck I'm frugal too but with my free time.  I can always make more money but not more time.  I work a lot of hours, have a large home to maintain and 6 Grandchildren to entertain when I'm not pinned down by points 1 and 2.  My fishing and tying are usually pushed into the margins of life I have available between many other obligations.  I love to make things vs buying myself but in this case the money to me was less important than my time.  

Now if someone out there has the engineering designs for a LAW vise...

I recently noticed left forearm fatigue with my main setup - a Regal pedestal with the the 6 inch stem. At the preferred jaw angle, I'm thinking it's a bit too high at my tying station. I have some c-clamp options including the Regal 10 inch stem and clamp. So I may experiment. The thing is that it's barely noticeable and not at all painful - and it could have been something that was happening all along. But now that I've experienced it, it bugs me. This thread doesn't help. When stuff like this gets stuck in my head and I focus on it, I find that bourbon sometimes helps, so there's  another option. Or maybe exercise - nah, just kidding. My casting arm / bobbin hand is OK so maybe I should just switch off between the two.