Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
aggieangler

HELP! cannot find this terrestrial in any shop

been looking for more of these since last summer with no luck. It killed for me in a dry-dropper system. But I only have 1 remaining now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

yellow foam body hopper with flash, rubber legs and antennae. deer hair and yellow/orange yarn.post-43055-0-30505300-1435976135_thumb.jpg

You do know this is a fly TYING forum.....

Seriously though, your conumdrum is why I started to tie flies. I could never find the flies I wanted. So I started to tie so I had the flies I needed.

You seem to have the recipe and a sample fly. Get the materials and tie away.

Second that. If you don't tie your own, you will never have the "right" fly at the right time.

And if you don't wanna tie your own... I'll tie you some and sell them to you for probly less than a shop will... Pm me...

go back to the shop where you bought it and buy some more

Maybe find the store online. Most fly shops, these days, need an online presence to keep in business.

Otherwise ... with the picture you provided, Fisherboy will do you proper, I am sure.

Thanks for (most of) the replies.

Yes, we've looked everywhere. If I knew the shop I bought them at, obviously I'd just go back. But I was hoping someone here might have seen or tied one them selves at some point. My tying skills are limited to pheasant tails and woolly buggers...

since hoppers don't have 3 legs coming out of the thorax area, it looks to me to be a foam bodied stonefly rather than a terrestrial

GOOGLE 'foam stonefly flies" and you'll find some that are reasonably close to what you're looking for (i know i saw some). get the recipe and substitute materials

if you think it a hopper? then GOOGLE " foam hopper flies" and repeat the above process

Just throwing something out there but the wing looks like moose mane and not deer hair to me. Anyone else have a thought on that?

If you can tie a pheasant tail than you should be able to knock that one out. The hardest part would be tying the extended body and that isn't too hard.

I've been thinking it may be an adult stonefly instead of a hopper, but (and it's probable because my picture is poor) it doesn't have 3 legs coming out of the thorax. It has 4, two front and two back. with two antennae as well.

I guess that's why it works so well. looks like lots of things to an angler...must look like lots to a trout too!

after copying the photo to a photo editing program i only see 2 pairs of legs not 3 as i stated earlier

Untitled%202_zpsetirplld.jpg

Good looking bug. It does almost look like a golden stone pattern rather than a hopper. Easy enough tie, but I too really hate it when I cannot remember where I got a fly or what its name is, mainly because I always wish to make sure the fly is properly attributed when I write it up or give it away. You might want to just send the photo around to fly shops you frequent. Does not seem to be in the Umpqua, Solitude, or Idylwilde online catalogs (although they are out of date I suspect), so it may be a local pattern and those are very difficult to track down.

I got one of my favorite flies like this. Bought a pattern and fished it successfully. Lost all those I bought without realizing it then couldn't remember where I got the fly to begin with. After a lot of internet searches and google image searches I came up dry so I tried to recreate it as best as I could. Probably didn't get it 100% but what I did come up with fishes great. If you don't want to try to tie it yourself the above offer to tie some up for you is the way to go.

Good thinking to post on a fly tying site - if people don't know where to get one you can find someone to tie it for you!

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Fisherboy is going to whip me up a dozen. After extensive research, we determined it actually is an adult stonefly. There's two more tiny legs at the very back (not in my picture because I'm not the best taker). I'll reply back to this when I get fisherboy's final product, so you can all see his great work!

I think that it's pretty close to Clint Goodman's Crowd Surfer Stone. It's a pattern that Rainy's flies produces.