Fly Tying
vicrider

July flies from the vise

Wow Chuck!!! That's really great! I reckon that'd work well for pike or musky too! The big bass should gobble it up and it's really tied nicely! Great job!

Thanks so much Fisherboy0301. I guess it just came together. One of those ties that seem to go right and the materials behave. I was even able to get a decent whip finish on the head after the final pack of deer hair. That seldom happens for me. I'll be fishing them on a sink tip basically casting them on to the bank from my float tube and working them over the deeper shore structure. Definitely a big bass bug and fun to tie.

rbreed, is the Y2K used as an egg fly for steelhead and other egg muchers? Good looking ties on both counts. I love to cast flies like the zebra midge and other chironomids out on still water and just let them sink on a slack line. I'll normally work them back for a little ways, then roll cast to get them up and get them out there to sink again, just waiting for the line twitch that telegraphs the sipping take of all manner of fish that feed on them. Really neat in many of the multi diversity lakes where you never know what'll be there when you lift the rod.

Got an itch to do some classic wet flies, so I tied up this Blae and Black on a size 14. The tinsel is a little large for this hook, but other wise I thought it looked good.

IMG_0012_zpswaxsbsun.jpg

I think you are right on both counts. Tinsel too thick for size of fly but otherwise very nice. The wings look really good. I struggle with them every time I go on a wet fly kick like the Bergmans. A trick I picked up from one of the video gurus on tinsel is twisting it into a rope. I use this a lot on flies with tinsel body and oval or round ribbing. I run the tinsel back, then twist it with a hackle pliers into a rope to wind forward as ribbing. Works great and glad I saw the vid that taught that. I was kind of wondering on your tie if pattern calls for wings in front of hackle. I generally think of hackle in front of wings. Like your fly and will try to copy. I have some thin holographic tinsel I just got and perfect place to put it to use... SO, after I look at my own fly I see tinsel behind the wings. Boink Boink doh

This is an example of the Butcher with vinyl tinsel wrapped back then roped forward.

DSC01078_zpsgohvatym.jpg

Chuck! I like it! But what i like better is to hear that you use a float tube too! Go the float tube!:-)

Cheers Adam! I love my tube. I never worry about back casting space when chucking those large flies. Bank fished for years and still do from time to time but I'm in the tube for 90% of my bass fishing time.

P3230008_zpsrtr5doa8.jpg

A big thunder creek-ish bass fly tied on a 4/0 weedless hook. Weighted right about at the bullet head tie down point. Coyote tail up to the head and bucktail for the head. Indian rooster neck for the tail.

image.jpg

A big thunder creek-ish bass fly tied on a 4/0 weedless hook. Weighted right about at the bullet head tie down point. Coyote tail up to the head and bucktail for the head. Indian rooster neck for the tail.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Love it!!! That will have some nice jigging action! I also like your choice of color that should work well in varied light conditions and water visibility. Sweet tie fisherboy.

Thanks Chuck! The coyote moves and breathes in the water like no other! And the color was what I had on hand haha sure hope it works!