Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
islander727

Short Shank Hooks?

Salty, I usually straighten them. It doesn't take much, just put them in the vise and then push the shank over a bit. I suppose this could weaken the integrity of the hook but I haven't broken one so far, even when they get hung up and I pull them out.

That's what I did with a couple but didn't want to waste my time if it wasn't necessary.

Thanks

I've never tried to straighten a Mosquito hook, so have not broken any. My previous comment was from past experiences trying to straighten other hooks of similar quality and I broke enough of them to stop trying. The old Mustad's, or EC, I've bent the heck out of some of them, and only occasionally broke one. I've bought those older bronze Carlisle style hooks which have a very pronounced offset point to tie streamers & use as popper hooks, straightened them & even reshaped them into keel hooks at times.

Turned out it really made no difference if a hook had an offset, as I said, never had a problem with them on flies anyway. laugh.png

I use some EC hooks that are offset. I believe the number is 84 and I use them in both a bronze and a shiny plating for salt flies. I generally do straighten them but I doubt that they actually need straightened. I use the shiny plated versions where I would use a 3007 Mustad though the shank is just a little shorter but not much shorter. The problem is I have only found the shiny versions while in FL. They are not available here in middle TN

Some others I use. I bent/broke a lot of mustads before giving them up entirely.

Varivas 2600ST & 2600ST-V (available in stainless or high carbon steel).

Partridge attitude extra

Partridge F3 (barbless, personal fav for juvie tarpon)

Gamakatsu SC15 & SC15-3H.

Here are a few additional short shanks to get a look at....

Eagle Claw 254N or 254ss - the 254N is a nickle plated, large eye short shank hook on light wire - caught a bunch of fish on maribou flies tied on this hook years and years ago - but a big fish will straighten it out.... the 254ss is the stainless version, and quite a bit stronger. Many tiers used these hooks before better hooks were commonly available.

The 9175 or 9174 is a Mustad live bait hook on stout wire - the 9175 is cadmium plated, the 9174 is bronze. These require some sharpening but are worth a look for someone fishing offshore where a stronger hook is needed....

Hope this helps - all of the above are quite cheap by comparison to today's import super hooks, but might find some use.....