Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jacktown

catfish on dry fly

I am new to fly fishing and have been doing it for about five weeks. I was using a gurgler and I caught a catfish on a gurgler I tied. Do they do this often?

Not quite a dry fly, but still neat. I'm not terribly surprised it took a gurgler. Every now and then, depending on where you fish, you run into some oddly aggressive catfish.

Catfish are predators. They are just more famous as scavengers.

In waters where there's fewer bugs and crayfish, catfish are forced to seek other prey.

I've caught two on poppers a while back. I wasn't going after catfish, I was going after bass and bream, but that's the way it turned out. Not the best fighter fish in the world, but OK.

The only time I ever caught a catfish was when I was bass and panfish fishing at a pond outflow. It was on a wooly bugger. I have heard of guys purposely targeting catfish on flies but I suspect it is a very niche activity. Still, I know that NJ and PA are both looking to get rid of as many invasive flathead catfish as possible so maybe there is a chance to start a new trend.

Steve

Hi Jacktown,

We often catch a wide range of fish from the Snake River a few miles south of Boise, Idaho. Most of the fish in that part of the river are smallmouth but we often catch crappie, trout, carp and yes, a few catfish. My last one was on an Adams parachute but more often than not we catch them on subsurface crayfish patterns. Take care & ...