Fly Tying
jd1983

Brook Trout Favorites Swap

Tied up 5 of my swap flies this afternoon and then realized I tied them on the wrong hook. Looks like I'll be keeping those and starting over on the proper hook!

4 days until the deadline.

Vic, I have some unfortunate news. I was looking over the USPS change-of-address policies and they do not forward packages. If the flies haven't made it back to you yet, they may be in parts unknown.

Not back to me yet. Hope they send them otherwise 24 flies wasted. Or at least I hope a fishing mailman with no conscience gets them. If they're not back tomorrow I guess I just screwed this one up good. If they are back by Friday I'll express them or overnight them. Shouldn't set things back any more that way than a normal swap. It's just not usually me who holds things up.

Vic - if you get them back just ship them normal post. No need to pay for express. Mistakes happen and I should've let you know of my updated address.

It's a beautiful day in East Tennessee, not just because it is sunny and 80 degrees, but because vicrider's flies arrived with today's mail!

Would everyone be ok with me posting photos of the flies at the end of the swap?

Glad those flies made it, they are some of my favorites also. I like it when we get the pictures up, get a sneak peak, only problem then is waiting for the post to get you all those flies your drooling over.

OH my gosh jd. I'm happy but I was just coming on to let you know I just had a marathon tying session and did a dozen size 12 Royal Coachman Streamers and a dozen Cracklebacks with orange underbody floss that brookies should be attracted to. If you hadn't posted they'd have gone out express tomorrow so they would get to you probably on Monday. Now I have flies backed up for another swap when the right one comes along.

When I lived in Finland MN I lived for a couple of years right on the Baptism River. I could walk out the front door with my 6' Fenwick Ferulite and either one of those little streamers and within a half dozen rocks I had a few nice brookies to go in the pan with butter and eggs. Fresh enough that you had to flip them over a few times or they'd jump right out of the pan. No coating. Just brookies.

Down to one last set that is on its way. I'm guessing it'll be here tomorrow and the flies will be sent Monday or Tuesday next week.

And the last set of flies made it to my mailbox! Great work everyone. I'll get photos done and ship the flies off early this next week. Looking forward to fishing all of these in be coming weeks.

Got everything sorted and all photos taken. I think I'll wait a few days to post photos since I will be able to get everything in the mail tomorrow.

Awesome, now I'm hoping they make it by Friday for my big August trip. With river and stream regular season closed, all the live bait fishermen are gone and the trout that are left get a nice boost in growth rate from lower competition and some of the larger species hatches, and cooler nights slowly dropping water temps. Hopefully hitting some shallow riffles just before first light with larger streamers, then heading further North as the sun rises to hit some cold bottom discharge tailwaters, an oasis in August. And that yellow stimulator should be a prime trout target this week into next. All I have to do now is hope the size 22 BWO hatch is over, it can make fishing real slow if they are keyed in on them, only perfect presentations cast to nearly invisible rises will do during that hatch.

And they're off! Flies shipped out this morning and should start showing up in people's mailboxes this Thursday.