Fly Tying
bigrbart

Lost Matarelli Whip Finisher

I have a couple I've had for a long time. I don't know if they're authentic or not but they do a fine job of tying a whip finish. I don't know how a "REAL" Materelli would do any better, but I may be wrong. I'd like to know the advantages of a true Materelli whip finisher as opposed to the copy. It seems to me to be a matter of bending a steel rod.

Check this website: www.blackheronflyfishing.com - look at their fly tying tools, they list the regular size and saltwater size for $17.99 each.

The website says that these are Matarelli whip finishers but you will have to check if these are the originals or a knock-off.

Check this website: www.blackheronflyfishing.com - look at their fly tying tools, they list the regular size and saltwater size for $17.99 each.

The website says that these are Matarelli whip finishers but you will have to check if these are the originals or a knock-off.

Thanks flyty1, I just spoke with the owner of this flyshop and he is under the impression that Frank Matarelli's son may start making the whip finishers again. He said he would make some calls today and asked me to call him tomorrow. I will definitely post any info if they start manufacturing again.

I have a couple I've had for a long time. I don't know if they're authentic or not but they do a fine job of tying a whip finish. I don't know how a "REAL" Materelli would do any better, but I may be wrong. I'd like to know the advantages of a true Materelli whip finisher as opposed to the copy. It seems to me to be a matter of bending a steel rod.

Ditto this for me. I'm sure my whip finisher is a Matarelli knockoff, but I can't imagine that the original would do a better job. I do understand the sentimental attachment (or whatever you want to call it) of having one made by the man that invented the tool, and holding onto one if you have one, but to me it's just a tool, a fairly simple one at that.

It's easy to tell if it's a real Matarelli. The flattened end of the rod will have an "F" stamped on one side and a "M" stamped on the other. I have a couple that I bought 35 years ago and are still in use. I would imagine that the knock-offs work fine.

Of course the knock-offs work fine but the OP wanted an ORIGINAL one, which most seemed to have missed.. Perfectly understandable. Have not seen one on a shop shelf in a long time. I use a Hal Jansen copy myself, because the originals were too dang expensive. Good luck with your search.

Having used the Thompson whip finisher long before the Matarelli came about I have a hard time explaining why I own not only the standard size but also the midge model too. I use the Thompson finisher most and also have the Thompson in the midge size, not that the midge sizes have ever made the job easier on small flies with either finisher.

There was quite the scuttle-butt buzz in the fly shops when the Matarelli showed up ('74-'75). All ears were at attention. Claims were eased- dropped about how much easier it was than the Thompson to operate and pretty soon it was a gotta have it gadget.

The original Matarelli design was short lived in that the method for stringing the tool changed, I think for the better, with the configuration of the loop, i.e., the original had a straight loop and changed to a loop with a kink. This made the stringing and operation of the tool to tie the knot much more comfortable.

I have several of Matarelli's bobbin holders and rate them as top notch and they get most of the use. The Thompson whip finisher is my go to because it was the first one I got the hang of.

I hope Frank's kid picks up the torch and starts manufacture again. FM made great stuff.

Having used the Thompson whip finisher long before the Matarelli came about I have a hard time explaining why I own not only the standard size but also the midge model too. I use the Thompson finisher most and also have the Thompson in the midge size, not that the midge sizes have ever made the job easier on small flies with either finisher.
There was quite the scuttle-butt buzz in the fly shops when the Matarelli showed up ('74-'75). All ears were at attention. Claims were eased- dropped about how much easier it was than the Thompson to operate and pretty soon it was a gotta have it gadget.
The original Matarelli design was short lived in that the method for stringing the tool changed, I think for the better, with the configuration of the loop, i.e., the original had a straight loop and changed to a loop with a kink. This made the stringing and operation of the tool to tie the knot much more comfortable.
I have several of Matarelli's bobbin holders and rate them as top notch and they get most of the use. The Thompson whip finisher is my go to because it was the first one I got the hang of.
I hope Frank's kid picks up the torch and starts manufacture again. FM made great stuff.

The Thompson tools look great, but can you use them when an extended Matarelli would be called for?

The Thompson tools look great, but can you use them when an extended Matarelli would be called for?

I have only used the Thompson at the head of a fly right behind the eye. When finishing back on the body or lets say a wing post, I finish by hand.

Probably not. The Thompson's shaft rotates around the hook shaft axis.

I like it for whip finishing small heads on a fly, but I think it would be impossible to do a good whip finish behind materials on the hook.

Some one asked for a picture, so here are mine. They are different, and one has had the back end ground down and notched to cut thread. Both still show the makers marks on the back end.

The difference in them is that one has steel beads, and the other has brass beads. I purchased these in the late 70s.

Got the notched one back from my step dad a couple of years ago when he returned the tying kit I built him in 95.

Many of the "knock offs" have thinner wire for the hook and shaft. The hooks are often not tapered, and the brass sleeve is also thinner and a finer gauge brass.

post-12074-0-19108300-1437582230_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-14307300-1437582238_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-88503900-1437582245_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-31505200-1437582478_thumb.jpg

I’ll be darned, I have one. I must have “inherited” it from my wife. She took up tying years ago and gave it up so I helped myself to her old tools. Truth is however, I use an old Thompson most of the time. It seems more forgiving to someone who has heavy hands like myself.

Well I took your photo and reduced it on the screen to match the size of my knock-off and holding mine to the screen they are almost identical except for a slight variation in the bend radius at the point. I see no way that there could be any perceived difference in function. As far as the butt end, I ground mine to a knife edge for cutting the thread.