Fly Tying
bigrbart

Lost Matarelli Whip Finisher

is there some magical benefit of having a Materelli whip finisher with an "M" or "F" other than the indication thats its an original?

dont the "knockoffs" perform the same function of tying a whip finish knot regardless of bend radii, steel vs brass beads or any other minor differences?

I suppose, to some, it's just like owning a painting.

You can have numbered and signed prints ... but they're just prints. Worth some money, yes, but they're just copies.

Owning the original is the creme-de-la-creme ... it's what collectors do.

I don't "collect" ... but I guess I understand the mind set.

I was wondering if bigbart had any luck finding out if Frank Matarelli's son is going to start producing whip finishers (and other fly tying tools) again?

Frank Matarelli was a good friend and neighbor of mine. When he got to old his son took over to the productions of the tools. He dropped the bobbin holders and focused only on the whip finisher What happened next I don't know because I moved from SF. Frank and I we were member of the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club. I recommend you get in touch with the Club: somebody there could give you better info.

is there some magical benefit of having a Materelli whip finisher with an "M" or "F" other than the indication thats its an original?

dont the "knockoffs" perform the same function of tying a whip finish knot regardless of bend radii, steel vs brass beads or any other minor differences?

I don't own one of the knockoffs to compair. I suspect that they perform the same function, just as a Harbor Freight wrench does the same job as a Snap-on. I'm sure they vary in quality.

I haven't heard too many complaints about the knockoff whip finishers. I have heard a lot of complaints about metal tube bobbin holders fraying thread. That's never been a problem with the FM bobbin holders I own.

Frank Matarelli was my neighbor when I lived in SF. If I remember correctly, his son took over the production of the whip finishers ONLY. Frank was a good friend and he made for me some special tools. We were both member of Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club and if you ask to Armando (over 90 year old and still an active member of the club) he might give you better info.

ginolaghi

Nothing 'wrong' with fingers. I used to only whip finish with them. But I learned to use the tool and found, for me, that I liked the finish quality, the appearance of the finished head, when I used the tool.

Still use the fingers for large poppers and such, but if I'm tying a small-ish fly, I like the tool for the whip finish knot.

Just my preference. It's not wrtitten in stone.

Frank Matarelli was a good friend and neighbor of mine. When he got to old his son took over to the productions of the tools. He dropped the bobbin holders and focused only on the whip finisher What happened next I don't know because I moved from SF. Frank and I we were member of the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club. I recommend you get in touch with the Club: somebody there could give you better info.

A neighbor and friend of FM and a member of the Golden Gate casting club.....you must have some stories to tell.

Did you know Tarantino ?

What's wrong with your fingers? Never could get use to using one of these things

Um ... the same thing that's wrong with using your hands to eat mashed potatoes. It's fun, but technology has invented tools that do it better.

Before all you hand whip finishers start going off about it ... I am joking, of course.

You can buy one at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. I have several that Frank customized for me with a little notch to cut thread . He did this before he was retired and I had a chance to talk to him and his son. Frank was the inventor of this whip finisher that's become a standard for all tiers that use a tool versus hand whip finishing. He is a true gentleman and he had some neat stories about some other things he developed when he first started out e.g he made his own vise. His tools are old fashion quality and its one of my favorite tying possessions, I can understand why you want to replace. When he sent me my whip finisher , he included an extra stainless version with a nice note. I will never forget that , still have the letter.

When I bought my FM whip finisher I think there were just 2 different whip finishers you could buy, the Matarelli and the Thompson. There weren't any knockoffs out yet, or fancy wood handled ones. I do have a knockoff I keep in my travel kit, but I do like my Frank because it was the original. I don't collect them, I just use it, as I do my FM bobbin.

I thought, and still do that it was cool having fly tying tools made by one guy, Frank Matarelli, especially after reading an article on him in a FF magazine. And not made in some factory in China or India.

Oh yeah, I know I could use my fingers to whip finish, but I've always been a sucker for a cool tool.

Mark

Can anyone help me find a used set of FM midge bobbins; I have the knock offs and am one of those sticklers who love ORIGINALS in all their glory. Would love to be able to tye my flies with the REAL THING if you know what I mean. Thanks for anyone’s; help in advance.

Cari

I have one standard Matarelli whip finisher that when I am done tying I still put back in it's original if tattered envelope and put in the same top tray of my fly tying case I put it in 30 years ago. I've only ever used that or fingers so have no idea how well the knock offs work.. My wild imagination tells me a Dr slick "Matarelli" or even a Terra "Matarelli"ought to perform similarly but have no proof... I will say that my original works smooth and flawlessly to this day.