Fly Tying
flyguy613

Next nymphs to tie

Need ideas on what nymphs I should Learn to tie next, so far I've done the hare's ear, Prince nymph, 20 incher, zug bug, pheasant tail. Everytime I go down fishing I don't see many bugs otherwise I'd probably have a better idea of what to tie.

Any suggestions on my next few nymph patterns? Looking for ones fairly easy and good additions to my fly box

Get some screening and build your self a collection seine. Collect samples and learn what is in your waters. Then you can tie those.

save your money and turn over some rocks at streamside. tie what you find clinging to the rocks

I would get different dubbing colors and bead heads and tie the hares ear in different variations. They sell nice little boxes of dubbing with several colors in them. For me it is very versatile, tie it in different sizes and colors and it works for most any nymph you dig up.

As far as patterns the pheasant tail and copper john (also in different colors) would be my next patterns. If you have caddis around I would tie up some caddis pupa also.

A friend of mine talked about going to an Orvis shop in NY about 40 years ago. They only had two nymphs: a dark nymph and a light nymph.

As Flytier said, turn over some rocks. There are real live nymphs living under them there rocks !

If you want to match hatches, you have got to see what your local waters hold.

Other than that and couple good ones to try are any of the Czech style caddis, Bird's Nest and a Kaufmann Stonefly.

Red Fox Squirrel Nymph (Whitlock) (#10-16) and Pheasant Tails (#12-20) - both with and without beads - they are deadly patterns!

Try some soft hackles, pink squirrels, copper johns, midge patterns. Or go back and look at different variations of what you have already tied.