Fly Tying
starsky

Bondic for fly tying

Hi guys I would just like to share something with you in case you have not came across it before. But if you haven't then I suggest you give it a try. Bondic plastic welder for use in tying is excellent and pretty cheap. Youtube tightlinevideo to see the uses of it. Its terrific.

i tried it and i think its junk. just my opinion

doesnt cure like the other uv resins and remains tacky

Check again, starsky, on the price. Stuff is not cheap at all when you consider how much you get. Just another overpriced UV resin. Beginning to suspect we've already exhausted the applications and sources for this material, and we just keep getting the same products repackaged.

Hi guys I would just like to share something with you in case you have not came across it before. But if you haven't then I suggest you give it a try. Bondic plastic welder for use in tying is excellent and pretty cheap. Youtube tightlinevideo to see the uses of it. Its terrific.

It's a suitable resin for tying, but there is tack as flytire mentioned. Here is the kicker... For $12 (the cost of the resin without the light) you get .14 oz of resin, making it almost $90 per oz. Ouch. It's actually very similar to the Lina nail polish that was posted here a while back... Lina is about $5 per oz.

I'm in the middle of a huge study in regards to resins, and it is far and away the most expensive per oz. On a side note, the little light that comes with it is pretty amazing. I have found that it will cure most resins in about 5 seconds.

Starsky.... I googled Bondic on Amazon, and they had numerous negative user reviews. One reviewer said Bondic used to be great but changed ownership or something back a few years and the current stuff nobody likes. What's your response to those criticisms?

Apology.... I actually had googled a completely different glue. Don't know what I was thinking. I hope maybe someone is trying this system out for tying, and I didn't ruin it. Sorry again.

I do use other resins for buzzers etc, I have used bondic for a few months and it is cheaper than the bug bond I use. The torch alone is twice the price of the bondic. I have not had a problem with it at all! It cures in seconds quicker than my bug bond which to be honest I wont buy again cause through this site I have had a lot of good advice on the other products that are out there. I really like it and the proof in the pudding I guess is in the video lol. I do admit it wont cover all the applications used in tying but for some techniques it copes very well indeed. I use it a lot for wing cases and coating butts on flies and its worked without any failures. I like tightlinevideo though think the tips and techniques are superb in all of the videos.

I tie large flies for bass and stripers. I like Bondic so far. I have only used it for a short time but thoroughly tested several kinds a flies on the lake. None failed after thousands of casts.

For me the tube applicator with the small metal tip is excellent to allow careful placement of the gel. There is almost no waste. Supposedly it doesn't harden or spoil with age like other glue. I think it may not be as costly over time as the ones where I have to throw away half the material because it hardens in the bottle. It seems the initial tackyness goes away after a while. I can feel the tackness but never had it actually stick to anything. The ability to smoothly build up is helpful.

I haven't tried any other UV products so there may be something better. If you find a better one, please post about it. This is a great place to learn about new products.

Right now I'm a fan. Thanks for the posts.