Fly Tying
Elder

Suggestions for Crayfish Claws

I have some soft hackle feathers that have some "curve" to them that I've been considering. I think they're grouse.

I use double pheasant w/notch on da brown ones, peacock flanks notched on da green ones, black are from duck breast notched I believe....

A0F09485-1167-48C3-B708-3FCEDA3C0FE1_zps

Drib, some chenniel /hackle for legs and body, melted mono for eyes, the same deer hair stretches from tail out front for antenna w/drib wrapped over for segmented tail. And da claws...

Squirrel Zonkers also work well especially for smaller flies and not near as heavy as Rabbit.

If you have a duck, turkey, quail, pheasant or partridge skin look at the body feathers. I have seen tiers that coat them with fleximent and they look great dry but not so much wet.

For small crayfish or crab imitations take two strands of that tight micro chenile and tie a knot. Trim the claw and melt it wit a lighter to prevent it from un raveling.

The two pictures are crabs but you get an idea. The first is a silicon rubber pincher, the second is chenile.

post-3361-0-53758700-1438530379_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-32748300-1438530632_thumb.jpg

Reds love the crabs BTW.

Another thing I have seen on crabs that could work on craws is velvet strips or even shammy cut to shape.

My preference is still the fur strips, not just rabbit, and I only add one because fish can't count.

Cree or variant grizzly/chinchilla hackle works. Both rooster & hen hackle has it's uses. It's popular on saltwater patterns, and works as well on crawfish.

Agree too with agn54, chamois works also. smile.png

oops, obviously spelling is not my forte, but that one was pretty embarrassing

Guest rich mc

i use thicker chenille. patons bohemian chenille and a thinner version michaels loop and thread brand mink yarn I melt both ends of a section and tie it on in the middle then wrap another around a leg halfway thenback over it to the hook, then the other side. the thicker thigh portion keeps it from fouling . rich mc