Fly Tying
Elder

Suggestions for Crayfish Claws

Since seeing a scientific article or 2 about bass and crayfish and how bass prefer crayfish with reduced claws or a missing claw, I like the idea of fishing flies with either smaller claws or with one larger claw and one smaller. While I understand that claws are a prominent part of crayfish, maybe they should be less prominent on the flies we fish?

Rabbit (or squirrel) strips have been just fine for me, particularly the smaller versions. I generally cut off the fur from the first half or so of the strip. Otherwise, pheasant tail fibers on smaller flies work well as do the feather types above.

Denduke, nice job, say I saw very similar pattern many years ago in Fly Fisherman mag. Still a great one.

Pat Cohen uses ultra suede (I think), Color them with marker

Grizzly chickabou makes nice claws and can be clipped to segment them or tie knots at strategic locations.

I think most important is to have the claws show life, so impressionistic. In the past I've used marabou for the claws and a few turns of hackle for the legs but you guys are stirring my imagination here and increasing my desire to tie up a few crayfish for this summer. Beautiful renditions everyone ! I have some plastic green dumbbell eyes that have been just waiting for a place to use them too.