Fly Tying
eide

August flies from the vise

A little Ant I have been working on.

attachicon.gifCinnamon-Ant-BL.JPG

Dynamite fly design! I love your inventions. This one combines my two favorite dry fly styles - submerged bodies a la Klinkhamer and foam terrestrials.

I've always tied terrestrials on straight hooks, and most other dries on curved hooks to get the emerger sunken body. When I saw LuciV's Ants Time pattern with a submerged abdomen, I tied some immediately. They've been great this summer with one small problem - after 3 or 4 fish, I spent a lot of time resuscitating the fly to keep it floating in the turbulent mountain streams. Although it's a good problem to have, I think your foam pattern is the solution.

Inspired by the video for your Cinnamon Toast Ant, I've tied some up and am anxious to show them to the local trout.

Thank you for sharing this new pattern!

A little Ant I have been working on.

attachicon.gifCinnamon-Ant-BL.JPG

Dynamite fly design! I love your inventions. This one combines my two favorite dry fly styles - submerged bodies a la Klinkhamer and foam terrestrials.

I've always tied terrestrials on straight hooks, and most other dries on curved hooks to get the emerger sunken body. When I saw LuciV's Ants Time pattern with a submerged abdomen, I tied some immediately. They've been great this summer with one small problem - after 3 or 4 fish, I spent a lot of time resuscitating the fly to keep it floating in the turbulent mountain streams. Although it's a good problem to have, I think your foam pattern is the solution.

Inspired by the video for your Cinnamon Toast Ant, I've tied some up and am anxious to show them to the local trout.

Thank you for sharing this new pattern!

Excellent. Glad to hear you like the pattern. When I fish it I try to make sure that I dry it out with Loon Easy Dry and then treat it with Lochsa. That ensures that the pattern floats all day.

DeerHairDan - kudos! Very froggy! I'm thinking Chernobyl Froggy! thanks for sharing since I'm partial to the deer hair stuff.

I've been focusing in on articulated streamer patterns the past two weeks. Left side is Mike's Meal Ticket and the right side is Madden's Krakken.

Streamers.jpg

A nice stack from last night.

Four mini deer hair divers on #2 hooks

Four zonker streamers with fish mask heads

Two Meatwad craws and two wobd craws

post-54000-0-41269100-1438893598_thumb.jpg

Looks fine to me, however I would half the amount of hackle (less is more), shorten the body to reach only back to the hook point, Make the spot half as wide and finally minimizing the head quite a lot.

But a nice fly..

And when halving and minimizing amounts, please remember, that it only take one turn to hold a material and one turn to secure the holding... So each material can be tied in with two turns.... A good mind set is to think that the tying thread is the most expensive material, and that you have to give away one of your children/pets/love ones to the bait fishers for every mile of thread you use more than needed ;-) :-P

/Henrik

Thanks for the feedback. I've always had trouble with less is more but stripped the fly and did another try. Here is the end result.

This one looks much better; great job, and it's a pattern that really has worked for me over the years (especially during the Grannom hatch).

TC

attachicon.gifIMG_20150806_163847.jpg

Good grief man...last night??? That's a weeks worth of tying there. Well, maybe not a week but a couple of long days and nights. Beautiful work and can't believe that can be done in an evening on the vise. You do amazing work with the hair especially.

post-37956-0-59523900-1439108975_thumb.jpg Charlie / bend back style fly I guess it could pass as a shrimp style pattern

Tied on a Mustad 34007 size 8 Stainless o' shaughnessy hook.

Brass bead chain eyes med gold,

Thread white 6/0 danvilles

Pearl web from FTD for wing

Colours are sharpies

UV resin with sally hansons diamond strength for final coat.

Hook is bent to achieve shape required for pattern,

Playing around with some new material this weekend....

This is 99% something "Pseudo". Its Pseudo Marabou, Pseudo Hackle, and Pseudo Hair...pretty cool looking, but I bet the profile in the water is garbage.

post-54000-0-05518700-1439208780_thumb.jpg

I finally got around to tying an articulated version of my "Magic Mike" streamer. People have been requesting that for awhile, so there it is...along with some gnarly green thing.

post-54000-0-87619600-1439208781_thumb.jpg

I just ordered some Senyo Fusion Dub to try out and its freakin awesome. I havent even tried regular lazer dub before, but this still rocks. I made the head out of Fusion.

post-54000-0-86266000-1439208783_thumb.jpg

Of course the experimental carp fly....just for good measure.

post-54000-0-66991400-1439208785_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20150806_163847.jpg

Good grief man...last night??? That's a weeks worth of tying there. Well, maybe not a week but a couple of long days and nights. Beautiful work and can't believe that can be done in an evening on the vise. You do amazing work with the hair especially.

I tied the majority of them in one night yes. I did do some prep work the night before....such as the diver tails, and laying out all the materials I needed to beast out the next night. I spent a few hours at the vise that night for sure, the key is to take little breaks so you dont kill yourself. Id tie a few, then leave the room and watch an episode of somthing on netflix, then eat something....etc...

Karluk Flash Fly

IMG_8967_zpsyxgdqaf8.jpg

Change colors to suit your needs.

hook - Mustad 34011 #2

thread - UTC 140 red

underbody - non-tox .030

tail/wing - Flashabou silver

body - silver braid

underwing - bucktail red

hackle - schlappen red

This one lasted thru about 30 pinks (salmon) caught in the surf last week in Alaska.

IMG_4243_zpsqftlzeix.jpg

IMG_4247_zpswpbnzonu.jpg

I broke off the red one I had been using - what was left on the hook made this look like a full-dress Green Highlander

Regards,

Scott