Fly Tying
hunter72

silk thread

first off I would like to say hi to everybody. great site, i've learned lots already. ok here we go, i'm from the Yukon and the only place I can get supplies is at Canadian tire or wall mart (ouch). the only color fly tying thread I can find is black. but I went to a local sewing shop and they have pure silk thread #100 in a 200 meters bobbin that fits just right on the bobbin tool for 6 bucks.all colors needed. I know I can order online but why if its around the same amount once landed here.i mostly tie size 12 to 18 dry flies.u guys think this is a good option or I should order my thread.

ps I did buy a spool of white and didn't notice much build up on a size14 and 16 hook. also noticed its much stronger.

thanks, Joey

Hi Joey

Welcome to the site of much information, get used to get a few different answers for each questions, all probably being right in their own way ;-)

Regarding silk thread.

Is is pure authentic silk?
Or an syntetic copy?

If pure silk, you might find that waxing you thread will be a good idea.

Silk can rot away, and is kind of different to work with.

i use silk a lot for tying in hand, since it is more authentic to me.
Also, I do make my own cobblers wax...

When all comes to an end, the material used for fly tying should reflect why you tie...

If tying fishing flies, then function, durability and look is what you are after.

If you are tying for the fisher and not only for the fish, then look becomes more important.

Try it out, see how it works and sorry to say, but if the fly tying bug infects you much, then you will start ordering online anyway :-)

hi there and welcome to the site.

i can't really help you wih the silk thread, but will be interested to see what others have to say.

if you can tie down to #16 with the white thread; then it works for you. Sharpie markers can be used to easily colour thread.

as a side note i will share a great Canadian online supplier with you. his web site is hard to read; but quality, service, and price are hard to beat.

http://johnsflymaterials.webs.com/

fly tying thread is pretty cheap, it's durable, doesn't rot, and is generally far thinner than silk. And stronger. I use 70 denier (8/0) on all but the big streamers, for which I use 120 denier. I tried wrapping a rod once with sewing-store silk and the thread broke repeatedly, presumably at the point where strands had been twisted together for length. It was sewing thread, though, and may have been made of shorter segments of thread than the longer staple threads.

Persall's Gossamer silk is finer than sewing silk that I used, but it's still way larger in diameter than tying thread. I'd say somewhere between 90-120 denier, but since denier is kinda specific to weight, I'm referring to diameter. It's beautiful stuff and strong, but not nearly as strong as the modern threads, which won't rot on you. You get a smaller head and less build-up with fly tying thread. On big flies, especially for show flies, it's hard to beat silk.

60 years ago, when I started tying, all I had was black sewing thread. It needs to be waxed, we used a bee's wax ball and ran the thread through it. Most sewing thread would be way too big for me on size 14 to 18 hooks. Sewing thread comes in different weights so look for smaller weights. Also look for nylon, rayon or other synthetics which will be smaller than the sewing silk. There are several fly shops in BC which might save you on shipping if you decide to order on line. Welcome to the forum.

thanks, everyone. I decided to just order my thread online.will probably go with 8/0.theres more material I need anyways. will make a list and order on.

joey