Fly Tying
wschmitt3

Landed my first Fly Fishing Guide job

I was hired by Good News River Lodge in Alaska yesterday! I am very fortunate to have been hired by such a top rate outfit and I'm incredibly excited about this opportunity.I am heading to Boston early this morning to catch an afternoon flight to anchorage. This time Friday I'll be there learning how to fish for silver salmon. Next Thursday I'll be taking my first clients out!

If any one is thinking about perusing a career in fly fishing I highly recommend going to Sweet Water Guide school. It was an awesome learning experience and attending was instrumental in getting this job.

Now back to packing.

post-52247-0-93251600-1438803807_thumb.jpg

And if you become a great, well known guide ... You'll get to watch other people fishing most of the year. You'll have to take a vacation to do some fishing yourself.

Sorry, I know too many guides, and they spend all their time putting clients on fish ... rarely getting to wet a line themselves.

Good luck, I sincerely mean that. But I also sincerely mean, better you than me. I'm not turning MY favorite pass-time into a job.

Thanks all, I'm crazy excited.

It's all about being outside every day for me Mike. I actually really enjoy helping others catch fish. Honestly probably as much as catching fish my self. Plus getting paid to spend a month in remote Alaska is a pretty good incentive.

Congratulations and best of luck, enjoy Alaska.

((Always had luck with the Dolly Llama tied purple and pink))

And I'm the same way, I enjoy helping others find success as much as my own.

Cool. Great way to finish off the summer. Is you plan once you establish yourself and get some real time in to hopefully work both ends of the country and fish the south in the winter?

Actually had a friend up north who did that Art. 'Course it helped that he was a Lovold and family money. He had a nice Bertram and charters on Lake Superior during the sometimes too short summers, then went out west to instruct and play in the snow. You're right, he had a nice life. It got to be kind of a joke that when I'd cross to the Apostle Islands in my boat to spend a few days he'd be there. I'd go out to Isle Royale to fish and he'd be there. I accused him of following me but he always said he was their first. LOL

This time Friday I'll be there learning how to fish for silver salmon. Next Thursday I'll be taking my first clients out!

forgive my ignorance... why would I want to be spending lots and lots of hard earned dollars on a guide who learned to fish for the target species only six days before I arrived?

I can learn as much in one day as most people can in six days.

I don't get it. I've done a lot of stuff in my life, and exactly none of it took only six days to become an expert. If I were ever to book a guide I'd expect them to be an expert at whatever situation was at hand.

Congratulations, but damn...

hope it worked out for you.

You'll do great dont listen to any of the negativity 6 days will be plenty of time for another guide to take you out and show you where the fish have been and what flies the fish have been biting. Hes not learning how to fly fish in 6 days just where the fish have been. A guide is more than just an expert on one fish, he has to help with clients casting, hook setting ect... most people who hire a guide are in need of some help overall good luck you'll do great congradulations!