Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Clearly

Leader Material

I am new to the fly fishing and have been trying to research leaders and materials. I was recently on the Spring River in Arkansas where, I was told you can get by with a larger leader material such as 8-10 lb test mono. Sounds simple. After I returned home I was looking at some of my gear and found a spool of 8 lb Spider Wire. I have seen some people reference braided leaders and was wondering if anyone had used this and what the pros and cons of it would be.

Braided leaders generally means a leader made up of multiple strands or 'furled'. Like a girls hair braided.

Your spider wire is limp and I think will be too soft to carry the energy of the cast and you would have no turnover of the fly.

Mono is generally stiffer and carries the energy better.

What Piker says. I tried using 20 pound test superline (Stren). Just as Piker says, 9 times out of 10, it would all pool up at the end of the fly line. It's too limp, and doesn't carry the fly over.

Where I am, in Florida, we can use heavier lines tied to the fly, too.

I use a straight piece of 10# test mono from fly line to fly ... no taper or tippet.

I am new to the fly fishing and have been trying to research leaders and materials. I was recently on the Spring River in Arkansas where, I was told you can get by with a larger leader material such as 8-10 lb test mono. Sounds simple. After I returned home I was looking at some of my gear and found a spool of 8 lb Spider Wire. I have seen some people reference braided leaders and was wondering if anyone had used this and what the pros and cons of it would be.

A braided leader is made of sections of braided mono that step down in size just like a solid monofilament leader does. Braided leaders are HOLLOW in the center with the braid on the outside.

http://www.orvis.com/p/floating-braided-leader-system/8x17

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=66832&start=20

There are leaders made of furled (twisted) material, sometimes furled monofilament or furled thread.They are NOT hollow on the inside. Braided and furled leaders are NOT the same but they are sometimes confused with each other. You will even see some furled leader manufacturers calling their leaders "braided." This adds to the confusion.

Furled leader and the thread it was twisted from.

Olive.jpg

Here is a braided loop on the left connected to a furled leader on the right. Note the hollow braid and the twisted furled leader

flyline+loop+to+furled+loop.jpg

Thanks for the for the information, this was very helpful and probably saved me a lot of time. This is what makes this forum so helpful. Solid information from people who are experienced and not selling me something.

Thanks for the for the information, this was very helpful and probably saved me a lot of time. This is what makes this forum so helpful. Solid information from people who are experienced and not selling me something.

Also the advice you were given is probably dependent on the particular water and species. Often in darker water or cloudy vs crystal clear streams and also with warm water ( bass, crappy etc) vs trout and salmon species you can get away with a shorter and fatter leader like straight ten lb test. But get into the crystal clear waters with fussy trout and they won't even look at that, you probably wouldn't catch a single fish until you got down to a longer leader and 4x- 5x or even thinner tippet. I've seen fussy trout in a local spring fed pond that chew on size 24 midges with 7x tippet but won't look at a size 20 with 5x. And I'm talking about 1-1/2-2 lb rainbow trout, not known to be the fussiest fish in the world but they are in there ! Go to NH below the outpouring of the dam up there on the Conn. River and catch rainbows and 3lb browns (that should be fussy) with 6lb test and a streamer fly. The rolling and churned up water below the dam brings clouds, half dead bait fish and is fast water. The fish don't have too much time for inspection of the offering. Whole different ball game.

Bass you can use a 3-6 ft leader, don't need the taper ( although they make a special high energy taper, called a bass taper for the big bass bugs) and they are not leader shy. You can up the weight for bass and you might actually need it, I like 8 lb for bass.An I do it in two sections, a butt section of heavier line, maybe 12-15 lb, then the tippet of 8lb. because I hate tying on new leaders and cut tippet back that eventually needs to be replaced.