Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Galdrin

Galdrins creations

in all honesty, tie in the individual hanks of buck tail (yellow, red, yellow) as best you can. some tyers will take a wrap or two of thread around just the butts of the buck tail before wrapping it to the shank.

the following video shows the wraps around the buck tail prior to tying down

in 35+ years of tying, i have tied a few mickey finns and could no get 3 perfect bands of buck tail. now i just blend them together and tie that in as one bunch.

regardlees of the method used, the wing will end up blended anyway

since its a streamer and will most likely be retrieved in a stripping motion anyway, the hairs are going to blend in the water

i also tie whats known as the "Wyoming mickey finn". a much easier fly to tie since the buck tail is blended prior to tying in

WyomingMickeyFinn1_zps025f93ea.jpg

WyomingMickeyFinn2_zps43349574.jpg

Thanks you for the video, I'll check it out. Also thank you for the image of the Wyoming version. I'll try and make both for my collection. My goal is to make classic flies as they are described in the books but I'd also love to have some variants next to them.

A little help for the head.

1. Don't tie the separate bunches in at the same point, ie on top of each other. Tie the bottom bunch in a little back and the top bunch in a little forward. That helps keep the bulk down.

2. When you trim the butts, pull them straight up away from the shank and cut parallel the the shank, as close as you can. That makes the ends taper and will help keep the head from having sudden changes in size.

I'm seeing improvements in each of the flies you post, so your tying is getting better as you go. Good job!

Kirk B.

Ok, now I need help with identifying theese feather. I know the box says optical mouse but I've never heard of a bird with that name :)

The feathers are really fluffy and light weight and as soon as I touch the box I have small parts of the feathers floating around in the air, would hate to sneeze with the box opened. Could this be the Cul de Canard I've heard people talk about?

WP_20150918_001_zpsbehhndx9.jpg

WP_20150918_002_zpsvaxobdyc.jpg