Fly Tying
Roland58

Best popper to date.........for me.

This is the second try, lost the first one. I had a popper turn out pretty good and wanted to share it. Someday I'll figure videos out.

I used an Eagle Claw #6, Pheasant tail, black saddle hackle, 3/8" x 3/8" x 1/4" balsa, finger nail polish (red, green, white), red Sharpie, high float fiber from Fly Tier's Dungeon, holographic tinsel, 3D eyes, red thread, 5 min. epoxy.

I shaped the balsa with a finger nail file and cut a slit in the bottom of it, then widened it with the point of one blade of my scissors to fit the hook shank. Then used a small amount of water to dampen the slot in the balsa, put it in place on the hook and put a small drop of super glue over it. (the moisture will cause the super glue to harden instantly). I then painted the balsa body using 3 coats of each color and when dry to touch, applied the eyes and coated the body with epoxy using a match stick (toothpick would have worked, too).

For the tail I used 5 or 6 high float fibers and about the same number of tinsels. Wrapped the shank with the red thread from the body to the curve and back about half way. Placed the high float first and secured it, then put on the tinsel trying to wrap it evenly around the high float (could have been better). I made two wings from the Pheasant tail and wrapped them just behind the body using a figure 8 pattern. They wouldn't stay together, but, a little head cement drawn over the length of each made them just right. Now it was time for the saddle hackle, a few wraps behind the wings and a couple in front and tied them off...applied a dab of cement. Had to give the hackle a little "haircut" to clear the hook and allow the wings to show and it looked pretty good. It worked on the bluegill tonight!!

post-56607-0-71920300-1439354240_thumb.jpg

post-56607-0-57220500-1439354241_thumb.jpg

post-56607-0-27481700-1439354242_thumb.jpg

post-56607-0-01394200-1439354243_thumb.jpg

As soon as I can get my "yak" instructor well, I'll be able to get out where there are some better bluegill/bass spots. I don't want to take the kayak out by myself the first time, but, after that look out fish!

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen!

If you've got some shallow local water, go kayaking. Leave the rods in the car and just go boating. If you're anything like me, you'll have the hang of it in about 20 minutes and then, if you feel like it, you can go get the rods.

If you need more time to learn the kayak, you don't have the distraction of the rods begging to be used.

That's a great idea, Mike. My only issue is finding some shallow water that is not filled with stumps and abandoned trot lines. That's that only thing that concerns me about going out alone before I am accustomed to the boat.......if I do fall off (it is an Ocean 13' 4" Angler SOT), I would be fearful of getting hung up on an old trot line. Of course, that could be remedied by carrying a good sharp knife with me. People take this thing out in the Gulf, so, it has got to be okay in a lake! I do have all my safety equipment, of course and I know of some great places that people can't get to from the bank and the larger bass boats can't get near them.

I fell off mine one time. I was kneeling and peeing off the side of it. Splunk.

The gators had a good chuckle.

Oh yeah, I like that popper! If you need a second opinion, I have a mailbox you can send them to...

Thanks for all the good words! I'm trying, still have a lot to learn and a long way to go. Still haven't got the yak wet yet, but, hopefully soon!

Haven't tried the popper from the kayak yet, but, I did get out on the kayak! An old muddy river and tons of cotton mouths. I learned a lot......like securing things on board and to set up for a rapid chicane well ahead of time.......if you don't, you get pushed against a log and sucked under! I only fell off twice. Got back on myself once and my buddy had to throw me a rope when I got sucked under the tree. With all the cotton mouths around, my only thought was to get out of the water!! If anyone tells you kayaking is not good exercise, tell them to call me. This old man was double throw down sore, to be expected after a 5 mile run, 2.5 against the current and back.

Haven't tried the popper from the kayak yet, but, I did get out on the kayak! An old muddy river and tons of cotton mouths. I learned a lot......like securing things on board and to set up for a rapid chicane well ahead of time.......if you don't, you get pushed against a log and sucked under! I only fell off twice. Got back on myself once and my buddy had to throw me a rope when I got sucked under the tree. With all the cotton mouths around, my only thought was to get out of the water!! If anyone tells you kayaking is not good exercise, tell them to call me. This old man was double throw down sore, to be expected after a 5 mile run, 2.5 against the current and back.

Sounds like you don't mind challenging fate. You can have that place lol !

An old muddy river and tons of cotton mouths.

Again, I am going to sound argumentative, and I surely don't mean to. I've spent a lot of time on the water in many States across the Country. Some of that time in Texas. I have only seen a couple of Moccasins in my life. Most of the snakes I've seen were types of Water Snakes (non-poisonous). To top that comment off, I consider myself an amateur herpetologist ... I am LOOKING for them.

I fully believe that most, if not all, of the snakes most people see on the water are non-poisonous.

Mike,

I sure didn't take your comments as argumentative, no worries. However, if you are looking for cottonmouths, you can find plenty of them on the section of the Neches where we were. In fact, we were confronted by a game warden prior to launching that warned us of a multitude of cotton mouths where we were headed. I did see pattern on the smaller ones and also on the larger ones, to a lesser degree. When I could see their heads well, they did have a distinctive triangular shape of a viper, admittedly, I could not see all of them well. I did find out that the old story of "they can't bite underwater" is NOT true.

Whether they were cottonmouths or not, I'm going to do my best to stay clear of them! Thanks for the info.