Fly Tying
Roland58

Best popper to date.........for me.

Hey, Roland,

Neches river, huh? How close to Beaumont? I'm about 20 miles north, in Silsbee.

As a alternative to the river, try some of the creeks, or even a swimming pool to test the limits of your balance.

The only time I have dumped my SOT is the first time I got in it. I just kept leaning until it didn't recover. I did that in a local blue hole, so I knew I was safe.

The rule I was given was to always keep your head on the centerline of the 'yak. I forgot it one other time, but recovered in time, lol. It was a close thing.

Great looking popper. Glad to hear it worked for you.

Kirk B.

Thanks Kirk,

I am waaaay north of you in northeast Texas. The section we hit is just a little tributary feeding into Lake Palestine. We did go out last weekend, but, this time we went on the lake......what a difference! Nice clear water, just a few stumps around the shoreline. I'm hoping to get a new seat, an ACK Gone Fishing, which should make kayaking a much more pleasurable experience. The next comfort item will be some footrests. The "heel notches" on each side don't work very well, my water shoes keep slipping out of them. That coupled with the seat sliding forward makes for an uncomfortable paddling experience. Yes, the seat is connected properly an tightened as far as possible to alleviate slippage.....it just doesn't work. Not to mention the back is only 10" high. The Gone Fishing is supported much better and it has a 20" tall back. Admittedly a tad expensive, but, I'm getting a deal and it should be worth every penny! Oh yeah, thanks for the compliment on the Popper! I saw one at Academy the the other day a lot like it......it was over $8!

I will be making more!!

Stay safe..........

I rode a couple of Kayaks with the notches on vacation. I determined right then I was getting a boat with the foot rests instead.

Let us know how the new seat works out.

Kirk B.

I know this is off topic, please excuse. I got the seat in and it looks fantastic. I am sure it will enhance my ability to fly fish from the kayak. I'll try to get it installed tomorrow and try it out as soon as possible. Meanwhile looking for some aftermarket footrests......I think I have found some. Will keep you informed.