Fly Tying
Facinorous

Absolute noob.

Hey there guys and gals and everyone in between!

I'm an absolute noob to all things related to this sport (some will probably say lifestyle, and one day I probably will too) and was hoping to get some feedback, tips, tricks and ideas from some of the more seasoned vets.

This last Christmas I was given my first rod, (Redington Path Combo, 6 weight, 9ft) which I have been practising casting on in a field near my house. I was also given a fly tying kit to keep myself busy with.

I dove into the "Beginners fly tying" book that came with the kit, but after a few quasi-failed attempts, and a little light googling, I discovered that the Light Cahill was probably NOT the first pattern I should be learning to tie.

Since then I've abandoned the book, worked my way through as much of scflytying's beginners fly tying course on YouTube as my materials would allow, and watched a few other ones to try to glean techniques.

Here are a few of the flies I've tied, some of which where just experiments to try new techniques, and I have no idea if they look even remotely like any bug on the planet. I do still plan to throw them in the water and see if anything bites. post-56527-0-72626300-1439439888_thumb.jpgpost-56527-0-58715000-1439440026_thumb.jpgpost-56527-0-17986400-1439439839_thumb.jpgpost-56527-0-00765300-1439440124_thumb.jpgpost-56527-0-86118100-1439440344_thumb.jpgpost-56527-0-93829500-1439440614_thumb.jpgpost-56527-0-98436200-1439440664_thumb.jpgpost-56527-0-13700000-1439440741_thumb.jpgpost-56527-0-23152800-1439440788_thumb.jpg

I lost pics of a few patterns I've tied, like woolley buggers and partridge and peacock when my phone died.

Thanks for looking, and I appreciate any feedback you can offer!

Hi Facinorous,

Welcome to a new world of craziness... Flytying is a bug you either catch or don't catch. If you get it, then you will start to look into all kinds of materials all over, and begin experimenting etc.

But before experimenting, it's always good to get the basic skills set.

Things that strike me looking at your flies (all critics are meant constructive).

1) They will catch fish, although probably not fisher men - yet.

2) you have some understanding (or is it luck :-P ) of the idea of fly tying, that can be seen even through these beginners flies.

3) Thread - focus on thread.

a) Thread control - Try before tying,m set you largest hook in the vise, make the fastest even wrappings from eey to end of shank and back. Focus on making the turns nice and even, and then increase speed as much as possible without loosing the ability to wrap nice and even wraps. This is very good training.

B) Remeber that almost all materials can be tied in with one wrap, and that wrap can be locked with the second wrap. (fool yourself to think that thread is the most expensive material you have)

c) Hide the thread - on the flies posted, the thread wraps are visible at the tail end, it shouldn't be

4) Proportions - Try draw your fly on a peace of paper before tying, just sketch it, and then hold that pice up behind your fly during tying. You will then more easily see if your tails are too long/short, if the body is to heavy/thin etc.

5) Keep practicing - Find 3-5 patterns that you like, and tie them over and over and over again. Save the first fly tied and compare that with the flies you tie afterwards, and see where you gets better. Also, see where you can improve and focus on that.

Keep posting here to ask for help - tips&tricks, critique (constructive of cause).

Once again, welcome to the sect of crazy people ;-)

/Henrik

All very good advice from Henrik.

Catching your first fish feels great, catching it on your own fly even better.

Welcome to the site, Facinorous.

As has been stated above, catching fish is the reason to tie flies.

Tying amazing flies is for fishing for compliments and catching other fly fishermen.

Both endeavors can result in great satisfaction, but I prefer the fish's response.

Since I am mostly after sunfish and bass, the yellow woolly bugger and the streamers look pretty good to me.

Welcome Faci.... at least you're going about learning the right way. But do you really use those flies with a 6 wt?

Those streamers are tied on the wrong hooks. I think you are going to miss a lot of strikes because the hooks are not long enough for the length of the fly.

welcome to the site. i think that a lot of us have started with a basic tying kit and tried to tie a Cahill or an Adams almost right out of the blocks, lol.

you seem to have a good starting point of how to tie in material. all the tips above are spot on. if there is one thing that this site is good for is rock solid tying tips!

the only tip that i will add deals with thread control. if you look at the thread hanging from the streamer, it looks twisted like a rope. if you spin the bobbin counterclockwise, this will take the twist out, and allow the thread to lay flat = less bulk.

Those streamers are tied on the wrong hooks.

the hooks are ok its the materials that are too long

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I will be trying out your tips Henrik and artimus!

Flafly, is it too much rod for them? I'm in Victoria BC, and have access to everything from bluegill up to salmon and steelhead. (but to be honest I haven't even had a chance to put a hook in the water yet)

flytire, how long should they be? They looked long to me as well, I was thinking about 1.5-2x the hook length?

To me at first glance, most of them looked like small, bead-head midges, etc.... things on small hooks. I don't use those kinds of flies but I tend to think of 6 wt as being for large mouth bass and other tough fighters. Don't know what size your streamers are on. It all really comes down to what kind of fish are you after. Guys who like panfish tend to use 3 or 4 wt, 5 at the most. Guys after pike, salmon, use heavier rods. If they fish for all kinds, they tend to have several rods ... a 3, 5, 8 and 10 for example.

Just out of curiosity, what do you plan to fish for with those bugs? Or are you tying them just to lean the basics?

The kit I got came with 8 and 10 sized wet dry and nymph hooks, I picked up 8 and 10 curved caddis hooks as well as size 8 2xl streamer hooks. I got them that large because I wanted to learn the techniques before I tried it on something small like a 16 or 18.

Most likely I'll be hooking into smallish rainbows and smallmouth, but I do hope to go after some larges and steelhead in the near future. My rod is labelled as a 4/5/6,so I assume that means if I swap the spool for one wound with 4wt it'll be OK, if less responsive than a pure 4wt...?

Don't worry about the hook length, I tie plenty of streamer flies deliberately on short shank hooks to let materials flow all on their own out in the water stream. I've caught big salmon that way, for a while I used size 6 bait hooks for streamers that tied 3" long. But I liked the offset angle of the bait hook, never missed a fish of decent size. There are plenty of patterns to use that need to be tied correctly and will catch large or small fish, these streamers were intended for large adult salmon, who take the whole bait in. Fish them with that in mind ( could be big pickerel or bass too).

faci

Lots of rods are labeled with more than one wt. Try 5 wt on it and see. what matters is which wt casts best on that rod.

flytire, how long should they be? They looked long to me as well, I was thinking about 1.5-2x the hook length?

bingo!