Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Skinny_Fly

First Fly and Introduction

Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to the forums and new to fly tying. If you know of some good websites to buy materials I'd greatly appreciate your help. Glad to be a part of the forums!

My first fly, nothing too crazy. I'd love your feedback.

post-56934-0-80220500-1439791518_thumb.jpg

I am perplexed. What is it supposed to imitate?

It seems to be a mix between a subsurface fly because of the bead chain eyes, but it has the hackles front and back like it is supposed to float, plus it is tied on a scud hook. I am not sure what to make of it. It is a chimera. That is a crazy fly.

wvmtnvjh03xe1xtaqd1o.jpg

Welcome Skinny. I'd like to suggest two things:

1. Go to your profile and fill in some info about yourself. We like to have some idea who we're chatting with..

2. At the very least, go to Flyanglersonline.com scroll down to Fly Tying, Select Beginning tying, and learn by tying those flies that are taught. Tie them more than once, so you'll develop your technique. at the same time you'll be tying some flies that have a proven history of catching fish.

BTW Silver... nice calico! even the eyes are mismatched.

Chimeras have two distinct DNA's. They are the result of the fusing of two fertilized eggs shortly after conception to form one animal. So they have two distinct DNA's - a forensic nightmare that was the plot of a CSI episode if I recall correctly.

Eye color is determined by single gene in a human DNA, so two different eye colors means two different DNAs.

chimera_formation.gif

chimera_human.jpg

systemic-epidermal-nevus2.jpg

I always thought a chimaera had a lion's head, a goat's body, and a dragon's tail

LOL I am a biologist you recall :-)

oh, there's also a fish called a chimaera.

Your fly may be out of proportion and mixed up a little but i bet you could catch a fish with it.

Man that is one freaky looking cat.Never seen anything like that.Thats just cool as heck!

First ... welcome to the site, Skinny. I LIKE that fly. The movement of those antennae should draw some attention.

As you can see, the simplest issue can result in some VERY interesting discussions here. Since fly tying is attractive to a great span of intellectual and mechanically oriented people, any little factoid can set people off on a tangent.

This one is particularly interesting to me.

Chimeras have two distinct DNA's. They are the result of the fusing of two fertilized eggs shortly after conception to form one animal. So they have two distinct DNA's - a forensic nightmare that was the plot of a CSI episode if I recall correctly.

Eye color is determined by single gene in a human DNA, so two different eye colors means two different DNAs.

Chimerism was on a recent CSI. Very neat subject. It is very rare. It is MUCH more rare than Heterochromia iridum, eyes of different colors. Animals (including people) who have Heterochromia iridum do not need to have Chimerism.

Most cases of human chimerism is blood chimera. This does not result in changes in eye color.

Heterochromia iridis (different colors within the same iris) is more likely to be proof of Chimerism.

I love the Cat!

I always thought a chimaera had a lion's head, a goat's body, and a dragon's tail

LOL I am a biologist you recall :-)

oh, there's also a fish called a chimaera.

Very good, you get a cookie. The Chimera (Chimaera) is a creature of myth. An animal with two distinct genetic patterns in it's cells has Chimerism ... but is not a "Chimera".

At least, this is what I gleaned from the research I did after the above mentioned CSI episode.

Welcome...I'm a beginner here too. I like your fly also..and the cat. Tying is a great hobby, and I hope it "catches" you. Cheers, Ed

I got that description from the font of all wisdom, the Harry Potter books.