Fly Tying
add147

***Halloween Swap - Scary Spiders***

I will be attempting a version of the Brown Recluse Spider.

It doesn't kill you ... it just maims you and makes you wish you were dead.

Never been bit by one but I have seen folks that have been and it is not a pretty sight. Usually they have to cut out a huge chunk of tissue from around the bite site cause of the dying tissue from the venom not a pleasant experience to go through. Don't y'all have quite a few of them in Florida?

Yeah, they aren't as prevalent as Black Widows. The Widow's bite isn't usually fatal either ... but the increased nerve sensitivity and pain will also make you wish you were dead.

Recluses are in the wood piles and refuse litter off the ground, usually. You get bit cleaning dead stuff from the yard.

Widows stay under the stuff lying on the ground. You get bit picking up boards, bricks or any other larger flat objects off the ground.

I do have a whole "herd" of small male Widows along the bottom of my garage door. Fortunately, I haven't seen too many females.

So far, I've not been bitten by either ... and I hope I never do. But, I'd rather go through the pain of a Widow's bite, and be okay after, than to have a recluse reduce my body weight by causing an amputation, etc.

I have been under houses and seen Black Widow's the size of a dime. Scary deal if you don't know they are under there...Kind a like snake...They don't bother me that much unless I run across them unexpected.

Western OK has everything that bites, sucks blood, stings, or causes rashes. Brown recluse are around in some areas but never seen one on our property. My kid lived in a trailer about 25 miles from here and killed them quite regular. Black widows are a bit more common and I found out (not personally) that they cause a lot more pain and problems than I thought. For some reason I always thought they weren't much more than a bad wasp sting but found out different after I've had a couple of friends spend time in the hospital after getting bitten by an adult BW. What we also have a lot of around here are scorpions but they're those smaller bark scorpions they call them and their sting is a lot less problem than I thought. Wife got nailed by on on her foot in sandals and she reacts to EVERYTHING. No problem for her. She'd rather a scorpion sting than a fire ant bite. Even little piss ant bites give her a bad pain and swelling.

Whenever you live you have various parasites around. Worst we had up north was mosquitoes, sand flies and no-see-ums. Down here there are few skeeters most years since it's a lot drier but there are other things as mentioned above. With the heavy rains the state had this year we've had a problem with snakes being pushed out of some of their hiding places. Crazy one on news the other night. Woman got bit by a rattler and had to go to hospital. Husband also had to go in since he cut the bite open and sucked the venom out. Emergency room and rattler got two for the price of one bite. Cottonmouth (water moccasin) is an expensive bite to overcome. Rare venom antidote I guess and they had a case on news recently where woman bit by water mocc ended up with a $100K hospital bill for anti-venom and ICU.

Oh yeah, it's just about time for the tarantula migration to start when they hit mating season. Hardly ever see one most of year but for a few weeks they're all over the roads and yards. Kids pick 'em up and bring in house all the time around here. I've let them crawl on me but it's just creepy knowing there bite is very poisonous but their docile nature and very small fangs keep us safe for the most part..

OK everyone we have 3 more spots open...Come on and jump in...Don't be scared...LOL

Okay add, since I already had the floss and herl flies done before I even posted it I'll join this one. Then it's my last one for awhile. Tried to get some of the new guys who always claim they just missed "this" swap to get in but only wait for so long. I'll figure out just what route I'll take. I can always do the North Country Spider as a last resort if I can't find something cooler. And as an aside in reading about North Country Spider I found out it got that name in England and not USA or Canada. Also, the proportions on the true spider are more specific than most of us over here in the land that England lost tie too. If I do them I'll really work to get the true England proportions right, though I doubt the fish could care at all.

Two more slots need to be filled I'll give it a few days. Anyone??? Where are the newbies??? Jump on in!