Fly Tying
rbreedi1

Managing Ultra Wire

Thank you Kimo. Looks like that'll be the cheapest part of my order. That's the problem with going to a link like that. There's always a $100 worth of things I just have to have. LOL

Nick,

Sorry I didn't see your request for a direct link to the Feather-Craft soft plastic spools until today. (Thanks, Kimo, for supplying the link, btw!) I forgot that those spools were kind of "buried" on the F-C site. :)

I find the soft spools indispensable for chenille, yarn, tinsel, wire--anything that can be unruly on a spool or card. Every time I order from F-C, I add a dozen or so of the spools to my order. The cost is negligible, and they always get used.

If you end up like me with a few dozen of the spools lying around, F-C also sells a nifty organizer for them: www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=display&target=SA008

You could also build one of these pretty easily out of scrap wood -- that's what I plan to do this winter.

Happy tying!

I have tried many of the options noted above with the exception of the FC spools , at the end of the day , I just let it unravel, heresy for and organization nut but I get tired of fooling with the spools.

I have several older tying bobbins I no longer use for threads, so I place the spools of wire on them & tie with it like that. The bobbins make it very easy to control the wire & also keep the wire from unraveling and usually even if I happen to drop it.

There are various inexpensive bobbins that work fine for wire if you want one dedicated for the purpose. I have 3 of the original style S&M bobbins and they're excellent for wire and are only about $5 each new. smile.png

i just unspool what i think i need and slip the wire back under the cap

see the wire secured between the spool and cap

if that seems to be too easy, buy or make some 'spool hands'

:D :D

Every spool of Ultra-Wire I have purchased came with the wire secured between the spool and cap. Silly me, I thought that was the way it was supposed to work.

We tiers and fly fishermen sure love to overcomplicate things.

I've tried tying with wire in a bobbin holder. It's just too clunky. The extra holder is always in my way.

There's a couple of real nifty ideas in here. I like the 3d printed deallybob, but I'm a tech weeney, lol.

Kirk B.

i use a small ball of blue tack on the inside of the spool lip and just push the wire into that. I find using the outside thing on the spool a bit cumbersome.