Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rbreedi1

How to v-out cdc feathers

I have come across some patterns for dry flies saying to V-out the cdc feathers but doesn't show how. Can someone explain to me how to do this and better yet a video or picture showing it? Thank you!

Do you mean something like this...

post-43582-0-65752100-1440197246_thumb.jpg

If so there is a bit more to it than cutting out a "V". I will do you an explanation if you like but want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Cheers,

C.

I haven't heard that term before, but it looks like he's preening the bulk of the CDC back and cut off the forward tips to decrease bulk. So the wing is fairly even.

Agreed. He is grooming the individual barbs of the CDC back so he does not clip or shorten them when he remove the stem and distal barbs. Groom like the photo below then cut off the distal stem but do it with three equal sized type 1 or type 4 CDC feathers.

cdc-types-h-weilenmann-gff.jpg

e6d00081.jpg

Wow, normally I would have stopped watching that video by the 1:58 point. To tie in, secure and set the tail in the way he does should require 3 turns of thread, he takes at least 44. The extra 41 turns do not make the materials any more secure. or the fly any neater. They only make the abdomen fatter. I fail to see any reason to make so many turns of thread.

The answer to your question is that he just cuts through the stem without cutting the fibres to either side. He really should have done that operation "in shot", where you could see it. Not presumed you would know.

However, there may be a better way to achieve what he is doing. The Marryat CdC tool would get your entire wing out of 1 type 4 CdC feather (See Silver's post for CdC types). If you do not want to buy the Marryat tool (they are not cheap), you can make your own easily enough. It is just 3 sewing needles in a tube. If you trap the tip of a feather between the needles you an roll the stem up around the tool, by holding the bottom of the feather and turning the tool. This leaves you with a bunch of CdC fibres either side of the rolled stem. Trim these off and place them together and you will have enough CdC to make that wing. You will have less bulk, not having the stem tied in under the thorax. It also saves you 2/3rds of the CdC he uses.

Still shaking my head at forty four turns to set a tail.

Cheers,

C.

Great, thank you Silvercreek for the pictures. That helps tremendously! Also, thank you crackaig for instructions on how to make the tool!

Great, thank you Silvercreek for the pictures. That helps tremendously! Also, thank you crackaig for instructions on how to make the tool!

I think the tool is under $15 is you want to buy it. The shipping is cost is the problem.

I think the tool is under $15 is you want to buy it. The shipping is cost is the problem.

With apologies to Mr. Petitjean, it's easy enough to make one. I did out of three sewing needles and a section of Silly Straw for the handle. You'll note that the real tool has a spring a couple of inches from the tips to hold the needles together so they don't spread. For a substitute, I wrapped mine with thread and it seems to work OK. And they points are probably not as slick as sewing needles, which makes it a bit problematical getting started off wrapping. The one I made wraps the CDC just fine, although I don't see a helluva lot of good it does.

With apologies to Mr. Petitjean

This tool is nothing to do with Marc, in fact he doesn't even like it. However, his tools to do the same will set you back $50+ (Magic tool and stacker).

... although I don't see a helluva lot of good it does.

Already answered...

You will have less bulk, not having the stem tied in under the thorax. It also saves you 2/3rds of the CdC he uses.

If you have to buy CdC, then saving 2/3rs per fly is going to pay for the tool in about 5 dozen flies.

Cheers,

C.

one of my favourite flies... i have upgraded it now, i put a cdc as an underwing and i mix together partridge feather with cdc in a V loop