Fly Tying
artimus001

homemade pedestal base

i have been introduced to a new manufacturing technique, using resin based concrete. we use it for counter tops, vanities with cast sinks, etc...

the first thing that i thought of was using the material for a fly vice pedestal. i'll be able to cast hook and bead cups into it, as well as tossing a handful of polished pebbles from my favourite river into the top surface.

the only problem that i'm having, is finding the metal part that the vice stem slides into for locking (thumb screw).

any thoughts onto where i could find this part, or a good substitute?

-Art

Art... I can't help, but am thankful you asked the question. I've been googling homemade bases, and come across several I liked, but can't find where to get the spindle thingy. It has a technical name... some kind of "hub". Here's a pic someone posted somewhere of a real pretty one... hope they don't mind my reposting it. Of course I could buy a pedestal base from Cabelas for about $14, so if the hub costs more than that, I might forget the idea.

post-52210-0-16568500-1440876788_thumb.jpg

Made my own riser for the Peak vise by drilling a 3/8" hole into a brass rod on my lathe, then drilling and tapping for a set screw on the side of the rod. Lot less expensive than the Peak riser, and works exactly the same. If you don't have a lathe or drill press, you might need to get a machinist to make one for you.

the Peak Riser is great and all,,,,, at $24.00. none the less, can anyone tell me what thread is on the riser? hardware of some sort still needs to be figured out as well.

couplers and bushings.... two words that might end my search, lol.

if i was back working as a tool maker, this thread wouldn't exist, lol.

Also you need to know the diameter of your vise's post. or whatever you call it. They may be standard but I'm not sure, and anyway you'd need to make sure the riser's hole will fit it.

I bought a bolt, lock washer and special nut from the local hardware store. I drilled out the top have of the nut large enough for the pedestal to slide into it. The bottom have I left threaded in order for the bolt to hold it. The bolt comes up through the bottom of the base. See photo. My base is steel, but there is no reason it won't work with a concrete base. Simply use a long enough bolt. Total cost around $3.post-56714-0-67876100-1440908715_thumb.jpg

Was there a threaded hole in the side of the "nut" to allow for a thumb screw? Or did you drill and thread that hole?

Back in the dawn of time, most fly shops carried a simple post that had a bolt at one end, and a hollow metal tube threaded at one end and with a side tightening set screw for just the application you are talking about. It was an easy matter to build a wood platform for the dungus to rest inany convenient jaws height over the work surface and then bore a whole from the bottom so the bolt would tighten fully. I have been using mine in that manner for 30 years or so with no problems.

The problem is that I have not seen the dingus on sale anywhere for a long time. Someone -- preferably here in the US -- could make them up and

produce them easily for the mechanically inept in the US market.

wunbe

Try McMaster-Carr

Set screw rigid shaft couplings. Available in inch or metric.

It has two set screws but you will only need to use one and bury the other.

The thread is 1/4-20

Vise stems are usually 3/8 inch so it could be threaded

Then embed a nut of the same size into the substrate and screw in the stem and tie some flies

Think up some other ideas to solve your problem

fin-34.... I use two vises so a pair is even better! Think I'll try it.

Artimus... didn't mean to hijack your post. Hope you're finding your answer.