Fly Tying
artimus001

homemade pedestal base

All he has to do is find one with 3/8

Internal thread and have the stem threaded

Not that hard to do

...and have the stem threaded. Not so easy a thing for Joe Homeowner, getting the threads to be concentric on the stem so that when threaded in it's not leaning. And not to mention having to establish a thread seating position so that the vise head lines up in the correct position when fully seated. But hey, I thought the idea was to keep it inexpensive and most of all K.I.S.S.

I think you might be disappointed in that choice. Virtually no anchor or fastener that's intended for concrete uses a shallow knurled surface to bite into concrete. The short length, of the one you show, doesn't allow for much height adjustment. It doesn't incorporate the set-screw feature, to prevent rotation of the post, that you wanted. A hollow brass insert is likely to float when the concrete is added.

I think there are far better ways of doing this; just my $ .02 .

oh please! you make it sound like somebody has to be a mechanical genius to thread a simple stem with threads

is it that hard to use a simple die?

1357609841473.jpg

thread the stem, screw it into the insert, then install that into the substrate in the correct position and let it cure

pretty damn simple to me

...and have the stem threaded. Not so easy a thing for Joe Homeowner, getting the threads to be concentric on the stem so that when threaded in it's not leaning. And not to mention having to establish a thread seating position so that the vise head lines up in the correct position when fully seated. But hey, I thought the idea was to keep it inexpensive and most of all K.I.S.S.

the riser has a spigot that is locked in with a set screw.

the other one is threaded through the bottom. far easier to cast in a thru bushing vs. a threaded insert. if i need a larger surface area, i can use a o/s washer to increase the surface area.

without any metalworking tools, i'm at the mercy of what i can source off a shelf.