Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
add147

Absolutely nothing to do with fly tying - Texas Gourmet Meal

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with fly tying!!!! I just thought I would share what we do here in Texas on September 1st. Yum yum...Food fit for a King. For those of you that do not know what these are they are Morning Dove wrapped in jalapenos and bacon. These are from my annual dove hunting trip which I have been dove hunting since high school. Just thought I would share the picture.

IMG_1363_zps40ewazos.jpg

Congrats.

Knocking down that many doves must have required a flat or two of shot shells. Those little devils have more moves than Barry Sanders.

I never had enough on the ground to make a decent sandwich.

Rocco

Many game birds (and animals) have passed thru this man's system over the years but not doves. I would imagine them to be about the size of a woodcock breast and kind of wonder what color the meat is fresh. Normally deep red in fish or fowl is not considered good table fare but woodcock sure make the exception. Having eaten most of the things that are legal and fly I still have to go with the partridge for the best on the table of all. During the years of up and down cycles in MN I'd run from 25 to 50 birds a season and very seldom one ever made the freezer. And where so many people did a rip the breast and throw the rest in the field I used a sharp knife and made us of every piece of meat on every bird. Sauteed chunks and pieces in butter and garlic then spread over a bed of wild rice.....OMG

Wrap them with green chillie and bacon!! thats the way we did it, it was off the wall good. Thanks for posting the pick and sharing the moment.

Mourning Doves...............mmmmmmmmmmmm good! We now finally have a regulated season to hunt them legally here in Canada after many years of nothing, but I must say that it took me a few months of skeet shooting to get the cob webs out in order to speed up my swing from many years of Woodcock & Ruffed Grouse. That beautiful little bird sure can rocket thru the sky in a tail wind and makes for a very hard target to hit at times doesn't it?

Oh I did not shoot all of them, there was a group of 25 hunters that go with plus the limit is 15 birds.