Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Future Musky Fly Swap

I am thinking of hosting my first swap after the musky season is over. I am looking for some feedback.

1. Probably an Invitational with the following requirements:

2. If a single hook, the hook should be a minimum of 4/0 and the fly should be at least eight inches long.

3. Articulated flies should be at least 12 inches long.

What are people's thoughts?

Would ten people be both a reasonable and realistic number? Or, should it be smaller?

We are looking for flies that would safely catch fish in the 20-25 pound range and would be able to be used for other big fish species.

There are many of us in both the US and Canada and this could provide a linkage for our sport.

Tom

I would certainly be interested. The size limits are a good idea. I would be fine doing ten but I see how it would scare people off. In the musky swap earlier this year I did big articulated flies in the 11"-12" neighborhood and it wasn't that bad. I did all of mine in different color combos and that definitely made tying that many jumbos more enjoyable. It helped spread the materials out plus it was fun thinking up the next color combo I would do.

-Mike

You're saying it's an invitational? Meaning you will select the participants? I haven't tied anything bigger than 6" Hog snares to date and probably don't have time for this swap but want to clarify on open signup or invitational like the other swap running now.

We're dealing with a fair amount of time and materials here, n'est pas?

(these ain't Nº. 18 EHC's we're talking)

Maybe scale things down a tad & go with six tyers, & six flies max.

ONE nice articulated can take me up to an hour to tie, just sayin'.

A start date after late November(?)...still fishing 'skis through mid-November.