Fly Tying
Chuck McFarlane

Classic Trout Wets and Winging

Looking good. (I must admit I find winged wets without a hackle look "unfinished"... But that is just me.) If you have hen pheasant wings try a folded secondary slip for a wing. Works really well.

I'll probably get in trouble for this but here is one for you to try. You may be familiar with the Wickham's Fancy. Best known as a dry fly. You can tie and fish it as a wet. My friend and fly tying mentor Alan Roe came up with a variation of it; the Black Wickham's.

Hook: 10 to 14 Wet fly.

Thread: Black. Any you like.

Tail: Black cock feather fibres.

Rib: Silver Wire.

Body: Silver tinsel.

Hackle: Black cock. Palmered.

Wing: Teal or mallard wing primary feather slips.

Over the years this has been a great producer of trout. Hope you like it.

If you would like to really test yourself have a go at the Invicta. You'll find an SbS on my site.

Cheers,

C.

p.s. Please don't tell Al I told you about this.

Cheers Crackaig. Al Roe's Black Wickham's sounds interesting and effective. Silver and black makes a great combination. I've read somewhere that some fisherman will purposefully fish their drys wet and in some circumstances especially for trout and grayling do exceptionally well. I will definitely give that pattern a go.

It was all I could do to refrain from placing a hackle on that fly and I checked the pattern twice to make sure it wasn't called for. I will fish all these practice patterns and to be honest on the next few GRHE's I tie I'm going with brown hackle to match the tail.

I was over to your site checking both versions last night. I gotta say that is a wonderfully detailed sbs. Very well done! Pictures and profile measures helpful. I will get to the Invicta after some more practice.

Thanks, and my lips are seals fur. Ah, sealed.

I've read somewhere that some fisherman will purposefully fish their drys wet and in some circumstances especially for trout and grayling

Usually where there is a dry fly only rule! ;)

Cheers,

C.

Crackaig,

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this:

Then fold the other edge over the already folded section so it is There is a slight gap in the centre (about two fibre widths) between the two edges. Then fold the whole thing in half.

There is another way to describe it. Imagine an open book in front of you, turn the left edge of the pages almost to the centre then the right pages also, also to the centre, close the book.

I'd do a set of photos but I need another hand! no one here to assist.

Cheers,

C.

Hi,

Here is a link to a thread I started last year asking for the same kind of advice. There is some good info on setting mallard wings too, feather quality is important. One of the most helpful tips I got was to use thumb and middle finger rather than pointer. Don't know why but it makes a difference and of course plenty of practice helps. I went through a lot of feathers before I had anything like acceptable results.

;

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=80822&hl=

There is another way to describe it. Imagine an open book in front of you, turn the left edge of the pages almost to the centre then the right pages also, also to the centre, close the book.

I'd do a set of photos but I need another hand! no one here to assist.

Cheers,

C.

Now that makes sense! Used to do something like that when making paper airplanes. At least that's how I interpret it except you fold the entire page not just the right and left corners to almost center. Am I there?

Yes Chuck you got it. How much simpler it would be with a third hand or someone else here who could operate the camera.. competently!

Cheers,
C.

Thanks Crackaig. I'm going to give it a try. I'm going great guns with the valley method. Getting good wing set and better, more consistent. Here's a pattern I just finished up. It's based on an American March Brown version but I decided to place the hackle in front of the wing. I think it provides good pulsing action while the wing provides profile. I'm pleased with the low wing and compact head. Need better ribbing and better matching of tail and hackle fibers. I'm still getting the feel for floss and how to control it. All fun stuff and very rewarding.

P9220063_zpsrascmpmh.jpg

That's really nice Chuck. I like a full game bird hackle in front of the wing. I do really well with these.

post-43582-0-56647800-1442929348_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-99102700-1442929368_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-85798700-1442929391_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-81094700-1442929413_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-16467600-1442929441_thumb.jpg

They are all colour variations on the same pattern. The body hackles are good quality dry fly hackle, deliberately short in the barb length. It gives the fly a good buzz in the water. Wings are hen pheasant wing secondary folded, dyed various colours. The head hackle is a covert feather from the same wing as the wing slip. (I get the entire wings dyed).

All of those are flies for the lochs so are pulled when fished.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

C.

That's really nice Chuck. I like a full game bird hackle in front of the wing. I do really well with these.

attachicon.gifRough Flies_0004_edited-1.jpgattachicon.gifRough Flies_0007_edited-1.jpgattachicon.gifRough Flies_0008_edited-1.jpgattachicon.gifRough Flies_0010_edited-1.jpgattachicon.gifRough Flies_0001_edited-1.jpg

They are all colour variations on the same pattern. The body hackles are good quality dry fly hackle, deliberately short in the barb length. It gives the fly a good buzz in the water. Wings are hen pheasant wing secondary folded, dyed various colours. The head hackle is a covert feather from the same wing as the wing slip. (I get the entire wings dyed).

All of those are flies for the lochs so are pulled when fished.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

C.

Really nice! I like the full body hackle. This gives me some good ideas. Most of the opportunities for trout for me will be on still waters so all the movement I can build into the fly the better. Cheers for posting these! What do you call these patterns? I read your article about setting up the leaders and tippets with a cast of three flies. I suspect you fish the above in a similar manner. Very interesting.