Fly Tying
flytire

what is that 1 fly tying material.....

....that just doesnt seem to work or catch fish?

mine is any fly tied with larva lace, liqui-lace, liquid lace or whatever manufactures are calling it

it just doent work for me :(

I stopped using chenille years ago. My bugs tied with a dubbing loop instead of chenille seem to work better for me.

Do barbless hooks count as a material? It fits the definition of ... "....that just doesnt seem to work or catch fish?"

So far, I haven't used any material that has NEVER caught fish. But then, as all the trout aloof like to point out, sunfish are easier to catch.

Cannot think of any such material. There are some materials I'm less fond of than others, either due to aestetics or past performance, but anything can catch a fish under the right circumstances...just depends on the situation.

Marabou. I would rather use rabbit hair than marabou. Clip it and tie it in as a tail, or spin it in a split thread as a body. Or both.

attachicon.gifIMGP3200.JPG

Kirk B.

When I start making small streamers and want marabou-like motion in the water, arctic fox works GREAT. It moves really well in the water, is easy to use, and more durable than marabou.

Artimus.....Saskatchewan Seal Skin...? Is like an Alberta Beluga?

exactly. I use Beluga hide for outerwear. 100% waterproof, and harpoon resistant. i got all of these tips from Super Dave.

back to the O/P. i've never had any success with hot glue used to make salmon eggs for steelhead.

it sounds more like an application issue, when materials aren't catching fish. however i do feel that if you dont have confidence in a material it is hard to design a good fly with them.

Dry fly hackle. Lol. It's great on streamers and buggers, but foam, cdc, or bouyant hair works better for me.

Great, now I gotta make somthing with flashabou, micro tubing, marabou and hackle

Gotta second marabou! I've even gotten away from it when I tie jigs, rabbit and fox are easier to deal with. but that doesn't mean I don't have it in a bunch of colors!!LOL