Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Holger Lachmann

Emerger - slim vs fuzzy

For me it would depend on the water being fished. Those two excellent flies would both have their place, but do slightly different jobs for me. The slim one would be for slower glides.

Great photos as well.

Cheers,

C.

It depends on the species.

For chironomids, they are slim in nature and the artificial emergers have slim profiles.

pump-sample.jpg

chronamid1.jpg

Caddis pupa are more messy looking and so I go for that look.

bug0131_RJ_a_m%5B1%5D.JPG

CaddisPupaeWFlyPB050291crop_smlr.jpg

This is a size 20 emerger that I come up some years ago and never failed me. Now it is the only fly I carry, tied in different size.

post-55804-0-43772300-1442621858_thumb.jpg

Ha ha, I feel like we're being "baited" either way! Great flies and pics, though from my human eyes, both appear to be a little fuzzy around the edges. Either way, I prefer my emergers to show what many refer to as a "proof of life," thus if you're holding me to one, I'm going fuzzy.

Great post, as I feel emergers are an extremely important area of our sport underutilized (due to lack of knowledge and experience) by many new to the worlds of fly tying and fly fishing.

TC

I'd say whatever way you want - very nice ties and an amazing "depth of field" on the macro shots. Nicely done!

Did you use many or at least a few bright lights to get that much depth of focus?

Thx! To be honest, I've just used my tying light. I don't have a special light set up.

You sir, know how to take great studio photos.

eric

fresno, ca.

No studio Eric, I take my photos on my tying table. I just put a piece of paper in the background. Very basic.

Then I'm wondering if your tying lamp is pretty bright and the camera you are taking the pictures with, is a pretty decent DSLR!?!?

Like I said before, or eluded too before - ( I think) , nice ties and pics.

BCT

THx for your kind words.

It is a DSLR, but not a really fancy one. Just using a good 60mm macro lens. The exposure time is quite long and all settings are manually made.

The light is not very bright. I just learned by try and error how to do the settings right. If you got a proper light set up, you will get good results very quickly.

"If you got a proper light set up, you will get good results very quickly."

exactly. like I said, you know how to take great studio photos :)

eric

fresno, ca.

A famous photographer was once invited to a society dinner. When he arrived the hostess greeted him saying that she had seen his work, really liked it, and that he must have a very good camera. After the meal he approached the hostess and complimented her on the excellent dinner. As they parted he said...

"You must have a really good stove."

Cheers,

C.

...As they parted he said...

"You must have a really good stove."

I hear that all of the time. hilarious though cringe-worthy at times :)

In the case of this post, Holger knows the way to shoot a very good photograph with minimal setup and equipment, creating a studio condition where there is no studio. attention to detail like background choice, specular highlights in metallic elements, focus point, depth of field, choice of lens, etc. I try to do this all of the time in my own work.

but back to the flies... any step by step instructions for tying that top fly?

eric

fresno, ca.